Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sanitation system replacement questions??

I should have started this project earlier this winter, but it's now underway. I am pulling out my Vacuflush system and installing Raritan Marine Elegance Toilets and all new hoses and etc. I have a few questions.

1. Vent line is 1 1/4, what is the recommended hose since it's not a common size? Trident 148 or ?

2. Favorite Main 1 1/2 Sanitation hose? Raritan, Dometic Odor Safe, or ?

3. Best place to Wye the two heads before the holding tank? close to the tank or where the hoses first come together in the forward stateroom bilge? Do I need a check valve?

Thanks, It's a been a slow first day of gaining access and removal of old.

****I will have a lot of Vacuflush parts available.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Re: Sanitation system replacement questions??

I put the wye right at the tank. I used the Shields green line sanitation hose. That was in 2006. All still working great and no smells.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

No matter what you do, don't drink the Peggy whatshername Kool aid with the white fancy hoses. It just doesn't work.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

I'm not sure it's possible to have a 100% zero odor santiation system aboard. The occupants are almost always within 'scent' distance when below deck. That said I've used black sanitation hose, very rigid white pvc and now I have the Vetus flexible hose in 1.5" between head and the Dometic HTS 40 tank and i think 3/4" for the vent. I believe they have all performed about the same but I consider 5-7 years to be the life expectancy of any hose in that capacity. Since the tank has push in grommet connections in its top I think some air escapes when there is a quick barometric pressure drop but that's speculation. I feel its imperative to keep the vent filter dry and in a drain-able attitude so it continues to flow air...you might be surprised how much bow splash can find its way into the vent line. I now have a hooded through hull on vent line due to this very thing. I've relocated the vent filter from the inaccesible top of the tank to a much more user friendly location on hull side under vee berth. If you haven't already, if you use the 2" pvc style vent filter modify it so it can be refilled. Cut the body close to one end and glue in a 2" male thread on larger section of body and a 2" female thread on the smaller remaining portion. Its only activated charcoal inside with two coarse screens at the ends. It's about $5 a jar at pet store for charcoal as opposed to the extortionary $90 for a new filter. If the end screens give out, one material is perfect for new end screens and that's cobra coil, the house ridge vent material. As for your odd vent line size, why don't you use whatever hose you can in 1.25 for a short distance just until you can use a step up fitting to transition to another sanitation hose size?
    Last edited by bostonhatteras; 02-02-2024 at 08:32 PM.

I guess I forgot to mention this: Where ever possible I did use PVC. The sanitation hose was just on either end where it was difficult to use PVC.
    Sky Cheney

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I guess I forgot to mention this: Where ever possible I did use PVC. The sanitation hose was just on either end where it was difficult to use PVC.
    I did this too. Hell of a lot cheaper that's for sure. Unfortunately the fittings in the base of my Galley Maid head proved that the calcium deposits and subsequent restriction will take place inside PVC as readily as it does in the rubber hose. That was surprising to me.
    1986 54 Hatteras MY IOLANI

Quote Originally Posted by IOLANI View Post
    I did this too. Hell of a lot cheaper that's for sure. Unfortunately the fittings in the base of my Galley Maid head proved that the calcium deposits and subsequent restriction will take place inside PVC as readily as it does in the rubber hose. That was surprising to me.
    I added cleanouts in several places along the line. Easy to do with PVC
    Sky Cheney

Good idea...
    1986 54 Hatteras MY IOLANI

ditto.
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN

In my quest to only do this once I opened up the cap on the holding tank pick up tube and best I can tell it's an epoxy coated tube that looks intact. Did Hatteras start coating the pickup at one point? Thanks
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's