Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: replace 8 8 volt batteries for 50' Convertible w/ 8v92TI

Exactly so. Phone is still the best way to ask questions and get answers.

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    I replaced mine with deka. I did Four one year and four the next to lessen the pain. At the end of last season one of the newer took a crap and drained the other three on the only weekend I was out of town. I was able to bring them all back but my season ended so I need to see how they held up over the winter. I always isolate each battery in both banks prior to storage.
    Deka hasn’t made them in years and they were junk when they did.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

FWIW, I got 8 of the Rolls 8-HHG-25P Oct. 2023. Took about 18 weeks to get after we ordered them. They were a new build from Rolls, came with all new cables with tinned ends & heat shrink. Right at $4,300 including shipping. I ordered them through our local Northern Battery distributor, they delivered them to the marina.

There they set on a pallet under the boat in a heated building until just before launch this spring. I think I'm going to have some young bucks lug them in and out.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Exactly so. Phone is still the best way to ask questions and get answers.
    I'm guessing this was meant for me.

I got my answer fine.

Please review post #11.

I'm not shopping for 8v batteries.
    I'm in no hurry for replies to my queries when I send an off hour request to a vendors web site.

Contrary to my understanding; no more 19" batteries.
    Seems some company will custom build 19" / 8v batteries.
    I was trying to help point those in need with a good credit card to a source to help.

To everyone who offered information on replacing the large 8v 1000 cca batteries on my 50 sport fish I contacted Dyno factory directly The replacement model were close to $400 each and shipping was reasonable Whole deal less than 4k which is not cheap but they turned the ‘92s over and started at the turn of the key Thanks to all that got involved on this discussion I just could not find a less expensive way out mike

I called Dyno directly yesterday. Prices for there M15 are excellent and very close to the Deka 8V's that are onboard now. Shipping to SW Florida was pricey, but even factoring that into the equation - about $400/battery, delivered.

Still collecting info on US Battery (looks like the exact same as the Dyno), but my local dealer is trying to get prices and delivery times as these are special order and may take 2-4 weeks.

The Rolls 8HHG21P look nice as well, but it is a "dual purpose" battery and not sure how that relates to it's TRUE suitability for starting the Detroits.

I'll also take a look at the FullRivers. I've used them in the past on another boat and had very good experience with them.

I think my biggest issue will be locating some muscle to help me offload the old and install new batteries. My mind is slowly coming around to the fact that my body isn't as young as I think it is, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag930 View Post
    I called Dyno directly yesterday. Prices for there M15 are excellent and very close to the Deka 8V's that are onboard now. Shipping to SW Florida was pricey, but even factoring that into the equation - about $400/battery, delivered.

Still collecting info on US Battery (looks like the exact same as the Dyno), but my local dealer is trying to get prices and delivery times as these are special order and may take 2-4 weeks.

The Rolls 8HHG21P look nice as well, but it is a "dual purpose" battery and not sure how that relates to it's TRUE suitability for starting the Detroits.

I'll also take a look at the FullRivers. I've used them in the past on another boat and had very good experience with them.

I think my biggest issue will be locating some muscle to help me offload the old and install new batteries. My mind is slowly coming around to the fact that my body isn't as young as I think it is, LOL
    Zig -

My Full River 8V AGM's are working very nicely. They spin up the 671s with no issue whatsoever.

FYI, I bought a hydraulic table from Harbor Freight to make my removal and install a LOT easier. I'll post up some pics when I get on the ground (currently at 36,000 feet on way back from Whistler).

Two of us old guys were able to handle the removal and install pretty easy without much back pain the next day. The key to me was lifting the batteries onto my battery shelf. Not sure how yours is set up, but mine are on a shelf on the aft wall of the ER. Shelf is about 28 inches high from ER floor.

You are welcome to borrow the hydraulic table if you want to go that route. I might could even be talked into helping if the timing is right.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

JD, Thanks for the offer. Will keep you posted and would love to see your battery removal process photos.

In the meantime, I plan to unplug the boat from dock power this weekend and monitor the batteries again. Will be interesting if my EQ process has corrected the batteries.

JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL