Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Larger rudders for 53MY

I have seen only one 53MY where they replaced the rudders with slightly larger surface area rudders. I never talked to the owner to see if/how much this helped.

Many have complained about the steerage in a following sea and I have to agree that the rudders seem small for a boat of this size. Has anyone here up-sized rudders? If so, what differences did you notice?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Re: Larger rudders for 53MY

Okay. I guess that answers my question.

There are a couple of us that may just have some made. I'm not sure what size was used on the 53 that I saw a few years ago, but we are thinking an increase in surface area of about 20% would make a big difference without overly stressing the associated steering components. I'm told that the drawings have already been completed. Will update if this actually all happens.
    Sky Cheney

Sky i too have been mulling this idea of larger rudders to aid is low speed steering. But i have been also thinking about alternative steering capabilities like a manual steering servo of a good autopilot system. I've seen these systems and I'm sure you have too. It's essentially a small hydraulic joystick control that sits horizontal on the helm that manually controls steering through the autopilot pump. i know bigger yachts use them. I'm thinking that the all in cost associated with redesigning and installing new modified rudders would be similar to a newer advanced autopilot with this function.
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Our 58 Bertram did have some low speed problems at times. The back and bottom edges were flat and near square.The metal worker at Huckins just welded on some 3" plates that helped a lot.
    Over 12 years now, still solid.

I usually never touch the steering wheel while under way.
    I steer with the rotating knob on our AP. One click is one degree magnetic.
    Let the AP pump do the work.

Jog lever controllers as you mentioned (FU & NFU) are expensive.
    I had thought about one but decided not, the steering knob on my AP does a fine job in Follow Up or Non Follow UP (FU or NFU) just fine.

Still with all our mods, I still have to hand steer the boat with the big ole wheel, coming in an inlet with following swells on our stern.

I found some literature on the Jog Lever AP system. It may or may not help in more low speed steering control. but just in case here it is..

https://www.furunousa.com/-/media/si...ontroller.pdfe
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Rudders are being fabricated. We went with 35% more surface area. Will report back once they are installed and tested.
    Sky Cheney

Sky, are you using a local fabricator for those?

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Sky, are you using a local fabricator for those?
    Yes, Marine Machining in Clinton Twp, Michigan. Same people who fabricated my struts, shafts, and shaft couplings.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 03-07-2024 at 03:30 PM.
    Sky Cheney

Think you will be shocked by how much better the boat will handle. We increased the rudder size probably by 30-35% before adding the power steering, biggest difference was in a following sea where we could actually be in control instead of the ocean. During the CAT repower added the power steering which is amazing, would never have a boat without it.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Think you will be shocked by how much better the boat will handle. We increased the rudder size probably by 30-35% before adding the power steering, biggest difference was in a following sea where we could actually be in control instead of the ocean. During the CAT repower added the power steering which is amazing, would never have a boat without it.
    I'm thinking the power steering may be next. You can't buy the hynautic cylinder anymore and the last time I put seals in this one, I had to do it twice to stop the leaks. I don't see or feel any obvious scarring on the ram, but if it starts leaking again, it's getting replaced.
    Sky Cheney