Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cummins 6cta's

Cummins 6cta's

I have a friend looking at a boat with these engines rated at 450hp in a formula express. Any opinions on this arrangement, any firsthand experience with these engines.

Thanks
    Walt Hoover

Re: Cummins 6cta's

The Man seems to like it, Tony Athens that is. Lots of tech info here. https://www.sbmar.com/engine-info/cu...pecifications/

are you sure they're the 450's? i had a pair at 430,hp wonderful engines. The 6c's are commercial grade, easier to rebuild vs the 6b's. like bostonhatteras said, Tony A likes them. Check out his website. Make sure that the engines turn rated rpm, and the h/e have been cleaned within the past 3 years. Check for exhaust leaks. All the basic diesel things. But my 430 mechanicals were fuel efficient and easy to work on. Loved them and would love to find a small hatt with them.

As to Hp I was just reading the listing so I'm not sure. The boat is a 1999, pics look good but it's wrapped up for the winter. I said I would find some information about it for him. I'm a big fan of Tony Athens, I bought shower heads from his company and first class product.

Walt Hoover

Good engines and they've been around for a long time. Everything I've ever obtained from Tony Athens has worked exactly as described, no problems.

The 6CTAs are great engines indeed, I repowered my 53MY with factory remans. Mines are 435hp but there is a 450hp version which I believe was called Diamond Edition.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thanks I will pass this on to him. He started looking for a 25 to 30 foot bow rider day boat and now he is up to a 40 with diesels. This boat is priced at 100,000.00 canadian so it bears looking at.

Walt Hoover

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ibextid=Dv3YPZ

Here is the link for the boat, appreciate any opinions.

Walt Hoover

I have owned two Formulas, and have always been very impressed with the quality and thought that goes into their models. This looks like a nice one that shows pride of ownership. Looks good to me!

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    I have a friend looking at a boat with these engines rated at 450hp in a formula express. Any opinions on this arrangement, any firsthand experience with these engines.

Thanks
    Walt Hoover
    Pass this to your friend.
    Attached Files