Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

10 questions with Jim Rosenthal

Top Hatt ‘78 43’ DCFB #471 6-71Ns Oakley CA

Re: 10 questions with Jim Rosenthal

That’s quite a stable.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I agree with the classic Mercedes love. I bought a used high milage 560 SEL between Corvette's back in 94. The thing was elegant, comfortable, and fast. Seems they used to under report actual HP of the cars. My wife has a 2017 convertible she wanted after we sold off the last mommy-wagon. Not even a shadow of the old Mercedes. We had to drive up to CT for a funeral last year. She made me drive. Was horrible.

Jim, if it matters at all to you my number 1 Mercedes I with I had was the 560 SEC. Regret not getting one and keeping it. Nice collection.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

I bought an 88 560sl new used it as my daily driver. In around 98 I had 140k on it. My uncle who was a big Shriner was after me to sell it to him so he could use it in parades. I found one here in Vero Beach an old guy had in his garage with 3k on it. Same Black pearl but it had gray interior instead of palomino. I still have mine. My uncle drove his until 2012 when at 88 his heart valve failed passed out and drove head on into a wall. Totaled the car and apparently the crash restarted his heart and he basically walked away. Ended up at University of Pennsylvania hospital and got an emergency valve replacement. The old valve was 10 years old almost to the day they had been telling him it was still good but they said it was a 10 year valve when they put it in. I guess the warranty ran out.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Great interview. Have to agree on the 300 D bought one new in 1978 had the license plate “78 BENZ” drove it 300,000 miles and pretty much just changed brakes and tires. By far my best car even after owning a bunch of Porsches also.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I still have a 1987 560 SEC , great car , don’t drive it much as it sits at our NC house , we only get there a few days a month. I also had two 1971 280 SL’s . Great cars also , but could be charitably called women’s sport cars . Still hoping to get a 67 Corvette. If longevity is what is desired , a 240D with roll up windows will last you a lifetime.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Interesting guy Jim Rosenthal. I always enjoyed his posts and was sad to see him selling his Hatteras.

Back in the late 70's my father owned a Mercedes 6.9 sedan. The car had an all aluminum 417 ci injected motor with dry sump (oil kept in right front fender) and hydropneumatic suspension that could lower the car at speed. That car was a friggin rocketship and I almost killed myself more than once pushing it towards its limits.
    I used to like going to the parts counter at the local dealership...the young guy would ask "what model" and I'd say 6.9 sedan and he'd say "no such thing." Finally one of the other counter guys would come over and say "yeah there is, that's a rare bird."
    1986 54 Hatteras MY IOLANI

And here I thought having a dozen motorcycles made me special - NOT!
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Quote Originally Posted by IOLANI View Post
    Interesting guy Jim Rosenthal. I always enjoyed his posts and was sad to see him selling his Hatteras.

Back in the late 70's my father owned a Mercedes 6.9 sedan. The car had an all aluminum 417 ci injected motor with dry sump (oil kept in right front fender) and hydropneumatic suspension that could lower the car at speed. That car was a friggin rocketship and I almost killed myself more than once pushing it towards its limits.
    I used to like going to the parts counter at the local dealership...the young guy would ask "what model" and I'd say 6.9 sedan and he'd say "no such thing." Finally one of the other counter guys would come over and say "yeah there is, that's a rare bird."
    jim didnt sell his hatteras.
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    jim didnt sell his hatteras.
    Did he decide not to sell? I hope so.
    1986 54 Hatteras MY IOLANI