Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Pilot House Screen Doors

Looking for advice on screens for our sliding Pilot house doors. I’ve seen retractable screens on other boat manufactures, but curious what others have done for their Hatteras. The default would be snap or Velcro screen attachment but looking for something a little more aesthetically pleasing.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Re: Pilot House Screen Doors

We have bifold wooden screen doors in the helm and individual doors at the salon to aft deck.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    We have bifold wooden screen doors in the helm and individual doors at the salon to aft deck.
    Photos please
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

A sideways picture of the helm and aft screen doors .
    Attached Images
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Those look nice. I like the idea. I was hoping for something more simple. I hate putting holes in the Afromosa but it might be screen material snapped in for ease of use and storage when not in use. Still noodling.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    Those look nice. I like the idea. I was hoping for something more simple. I hate putting holes in the Afromosa but it might be screen material snapped in for ease of use and storage when not in use. Still noodling.
    I have the screen that snaps/zippers in. Its kind of like living in a tent. I like the more permanent fixtures but I don't have the room for doors, even the bi-fold. The roll type screen is what I've been looking at but mounting the track for that would take some custom work.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I have a vertical roller screen at home. It has upper and lower tracks, secures by a magnet when open. It does its job when open but leaves and dirt get caught in the lower track and require frequent vacuuming. The top track has a runner that needs WD-40 to slide easily. The top screen tears easily if I pull too hard against the dirt. Do not know how salt would affect this. Took the dog two days to learn to open it by pushing with her nose.

When Fanfare was new my Dad had the Richard Bertram yard to make a set of teak aft screen doors. Apparently he did not ask for a bid as the bill was about $1,000 which he felt was excessive (then!). They are still working well. They fold in, paralleling the AC/entertainment console on one side and the wet bar on the other so really don't take up much extra room. Closed, you won't notice.

No screens on the helm doors. Mostly we leave everything open except when cooking to keep the flies out. Don't seem to be many mosquitos these days. Key West at dusk has flying termites, close for that (important!!) No-seeums in the Bahamas require everything shut, AC on.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932