Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

*Siboney 2.0* repowering our 1972 58' yachtfisherman

Merry Christmas to all!

It's been a while since i have touched base with all of you here. to say we've been busy with life and our jobs is an understatement. But with the grace of god, hard work and stubborn determination, it's also been a great one as far as our beloved Siboney goes.

I must admit, I've been holding out on a little secret, but finally I can happily tell you all that I have begun the process of repowering our boat! but before I launch into the details of what engines are going in and all the justification behind all of it, I want to thank SKYCHENEY for inspiring me to take the leap! Sky helped me with several questions I had. Sky helped me immensely with a ton of progress pictures that helped me visualize the logistics of the project in addition to the raw performance data, target gearbox ratios and propeller specs he provided to me. for those that aren't familiar with the complexities of a full repower, one of the most time consuming and hardest part of this is actually finding technical, real world information. Sky put all the time, money and effort, blood, sweat and headaches into his gorgeous boat, then gave me the knowledge i was searching to fill in all blanks I had. I am forever grateful to Sky, thank you Sky!

So my Idea for this thread is to document the process as best as I can without too much complication. I just want to pay it forward, and show that if you can justify the costs, our boats will live on well into the future.

"SIBONEY 2.0" is a 3 part, individual, thread series named "REPOWERING", "STRUCTURAL", "REFITTING" that I'll be doing as I compile pictures and progress. To say that I'm excited is an understatement and I Can't wait to share it with all of you!

Cheers!
    Last edited by MarioG; 12-25-2023 at 09:29 PM.
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Re: *Siboney 2.0* repowering our 1972 58' yachtfisherman

Engines: 650HP FPT C90 EVO

sorry for the blurry screenshot. I can't upload the PDF engine spec file. but you can click on the link below and it takes you to the manufactures specs

https://fptengines.pl/wp-content/upl...0_E_478_kW.pdf
    Attached Images
    Last edited by MarioG; 12-25-2023 at 09:48 PM.
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Awesome! I am so looking forward to following your adventures.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I'm so happy to help. You'll love the boat when you get it finished. Quieter, cleaner, and soooo much torque. My latest props are 31 x 32.5 four blades and I'm almost there; just a little under-propped.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thank you, Mario and Sky, for sharing this project with us. Between the two of you, there must be 50 years of intimate Hatteras knowledge. There is nothing like big iron to heighten the senses! Looking forward to this thread - Scott
    Scott
    1976 43DCFB ,Hull #428, “Exodus”
    Long Island, NY

2000 foot pounds of torque? Yes please.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Wow! Almost half the weight and 200 more hp. I’ve seen Sky’s posts and videos but with the added length on the YF do you think she will cruise at 18knts?
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

Sounds like a great project. What is your shaft size? Yanmar restricted the horsepower on my repower because I only had 2" shafts. I cruise at 17 knots at 90% throttle, 20gph each side.

Caesar's Ghost
    1980 58 YF hull # 472

Very exciting project MarioG, good luck with it. I've been down this path twice so just be ready for the unexpected, thought I had it all figured out after the first one. Biggest thing I learned was to go the extra mile because many years later it will be worth it.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by johnjen50 View Post
    Wow! Almost half the weight and 200 more hp. I’ve seen Sky’s posts and videos but with the added length on the YF do you think she will cruise at 18knts?
    Oh yes!! I cruise 19kts and top out over 23. He may be faster with the extra waterline length.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI