Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Recovering dink from deck of convertible.

My son just purchased a 45C, series 1. He grew up on 58YF and launched and recovered the RIB hundreds of times single handed.
    With the 45C the hopping ot of the inflatable will take long legs. At 25 years old he can pull this off. How do older convertible owners pull this off?
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Re: Recovering dink from deck of convertible.

no transom door? add a swim platform? maybe a set of steps mounted to the transom. i have seen these on many sportfish boats without a door or swim platform
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

The davit is on the bow. With that said. After you position the RIB to be hauled, you are now standing in the RIB with rhe deck at head level.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    no transom door? add a swim platform? maybe a set of steps mounted to the transom. i have seen these on many sportfish boats without a door or swim platform
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

I guess you need to have enough line/cable in the davit so you can slide the dinghy to and from the transom so you can clip/unclip it there.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Yes, longer hoist cable is how I did it. Mr. Clarkson had some kind of pole and hook that he used to clip the line. Look up his posts.

Walt Hoover

I just installed a davit on my 45c. You can't fit a long enough cable on the drum to reach the stern. I haven't used it yet, as I finished the install late in the season, but I plan on leading it to the bow with a line attached to the lifting ring, then holding the ring up with that line while I fish for it with the lifting hook. May need to add a boat hook into the process.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

I'm surprised this is an "issue"!! You tie two lines to the dinghy. You launch the dinghy. Bring it back to extent of davit cable. Climb into dinghy and disconnect davit. You tied those two lines to the railing. Pull the dinghy back to the transom and secure. Reverse process to raise. We did this for 16 years on a 43C.

Quote Originally Posted by Glory View Post
    My son just purchased a 45C, series 1. He grew up on 58YF and launched and recovered the RIB hundreds of times single handed.
    With the 45C the hopping ot of the inflatable will take long legs. At 25 years old he can pull this off. How do older convertible owners pull this off?
    I've had my 45C for 20'years now with a dinghy on the bow. When younger I had one of those portable rope ladders that you loop around the forward spring cleat and I would then just climb down the ladder to release the harness from the dinghy. Pretty easy.

Now that I am older I just put the dinghy in with a bow/stern line attached. I then just slip the cable davit hook free from the lifting ring while standing on the bow. I walk the dinghy back to the stern where I remove the actual lifting harness. When loading I put the lifting harness on at the stern, walk it forward with bow/stern line and tie off near the bow. Lower the cable and hook the cable hook into the lifting ring while standing on the bow and good to go. You can direct the hook into the ring by using one hand on the davit cable while controlling the winch with the remote in the other hand. Really easy and don't even need a boat hook.