Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

20 kw ONAN Engine Kick Back on Shut Down

Scratching my head on this new ONAN gremlin.

Whenever I shut it down, the engine kicks backwards just before coming to a stop. Next start up, the belt slips and will not engage the raw water pump due to the impeller blades being bent in the wrong direction.

I've tried tightening the belt until I'm blue in the face but the belt slips unless I loosen it first, manually reorient the impeller blades, and retighten the belt.

Anyone see this before?
    Last edited by Passages; 12-23-2023 at 11:21 AM.

Re: 20 kw ONAN Engine Kick Back on Shut Down

Are you shutting off the breaker so it's not under a load before shutting down?
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    Are you shutting off the breaker so it's not under a load before shutting down?
    Yes, always let my genny cool at no load 3-5 minutes before shutdown.

IMO, it is normal for an engine to settle between compression strokes, sometimes turning a few degrees backwards. Some lungs may still be wet and stop regularly in the same spot.

There is an issue if the raw pump will not turn back and rotate normally when re-starting.
    Rust or poor contact surface in the pulleys.
    Worn, Poor fitting or wrong belt.
    Over tension is not the fix, friction is.

Let me check my maint log to see how old the belt is.

Update: belt is 18 months old with 185 hours on it. Appears to be in good condition. Go figure.
    Last edited by Passages; 12-23-2023 at 06:13 PM.