Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

R-22 A/C Splits long range plans???

While I am currently on top of my 4 1988 era Cruisair splits, I know I should have a long range plan for replacement. I have kept them running so far and have around 30lbs of R22 in reserve along with some stocked parts. I have SMXII controls. My salon unit is a large 24k unit with a an evaporator in a metal enclosure up on the bridge. I have never even seen a evaporator enclosure like it. I keep telling myself I'm going to keep them running forever, but I know that may not be realistic. I will say I really don't want to run water all over my boat, but I hear mixed reviews about the split replacement options currently available. What have you done or wished you would have done or plan to do???
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Re: R-22 A/C Splits long range plans???

The good news is that the 70s and 80s Cruisair hardware will last a very long time… but at 35 years you re indeed going to run out our luck…

The new Cruisair stuff sucks. I ve been replacing 10 to 15 year old air handlers on the boats I ve run. The welds are falling apart. Condensers rarely make it past 10 to 12 years. And they charge an arm and a leg for that crap. I also really don’t like the expensive electronic controls they use, all proprietary.

You ll three options:

- self contained, which i would stay away from because of noise and running long hoses which increase the scaling issues. I m not too concerned about leaks as long as you use good hoses and solid clamps. Noise is also an issue.

- split. Eliminates the issues of the self contained but much more expensive. Also more complicate to set up and maintain.

- Chillers. More money but less maintenance and far greater reliability. once only found on boats over 65/70 they have replaced splits on smaller boats even in the 40’ range. Retrofitting is a little harder since you have to run insulated water hoses to and from each air handler. This can be easy or tough depending on the layout. On the typical Hatt MY with mid ship ERs, the hose runs are very short so it’s not a big deal

I went to chillers 5 years ago after spend thousands every year fixing up my 5 splits. The great thing about chillers is that in the typical 2 chiller system, you will be able to keep the boat comfortable in case one fails. Here in Miami, from October to may, I only run one chiller. The second one never kicks in

Cost is the issue. When i did mine 5 years ago, I spent about $25 k for the hardware (to 36k btu chillers and 5 AH). Now it’s probably close to $40k. It took me about 10 to 12 days to do the work. Best money I spent on the ole girl, besides the repower.

I think your best options will either be self contained or chillers. Splits are going the way of the stern drive…

I am a big fan of Flagship marine. They are in Stuart FL and everything is made there. No Chinese junk. Great customer service. All the frames are stainless steel, no painted aluminum. Best of all the controls are basic off the shelf parts. Simple relays, transformers and thermostats.

Ocean Breeze used to be real good ( that’s what was on my boat when I bought in 2003) but they are. New bought out and a couple of folks here have had issues with their products and support.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Also stock up on R417 devices. Same equipment, same compressor oil. Actually runs better with R22.

One day, R22 will to come to an end. I just hope no time soon.

Dumbetic has stopped all support for R22/417 devices.
    They can custom build an exact replacement for your your overhead evap station with a R409 (or then current gas) evaporator. Then you have to install a new condensing (compressor) station.
    Oh, keep your copper tubes clean and dry. New stuff will be running on higher pressures.
    Oh the pain in the wallet,, $$$.

I still have R12 in my inventory and stopped using/selling what remains of my R22 on other boats.

The SMX panels and control boards will always be available. Already at painful prices but still current in sales.

There are some shops that will still custom build split systems for you. Still painful prices.

Good luck as you and many others try to keep up our R22 equipment.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 12-20-2023 at 12:27 PM.

I've posted this before. We installed 220v self contained units from Mabru 3 years ago. We created a closed loop using a titanium heat exchanger so there isn't sea water being pumped through the entire boat, raw water loop is probably less than 6'. This way all we have to maintain is the raw water side of the heat exchanger, have glycol mix running in the other side of the loop. So far so good. Btw, think the units are either a little quieter or the same as far as noise goes. So far so good.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Eddie, one of my original 1971 CruiseAire units is still working, the other I had to replace the compressor chassis in about 1994 or so. Nt Vberth unit is 52 years old, so you might have a while yet before you have to replace them. I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    I've posted this before. We installed 220v self contained units from Mabru 3 years ago. We created a closed loop using a titanium heat exchanger so there isn't sea water being pumped through the entire boat, raw water loop is probably less than 6'. This way all we have to maintain is the raw water side of the heat exchanger, have glycol mix running in the other side of the loop. So far so good. Btw, think the units are either a little quieter or the same as far as noise goes. So far so good.
    Holden, do you have a part # on the exchanger? And what hose did you use? Thanks,
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

I went thru this with Pau Hana in the first 12 months of ownership. I ripped out the old splits and put in new single-piece units. DO NOT BUY MARINEAIRE! I had a horrific experience with them and they sued me for trying to get them to honor their warranty. I installed new single-piece units in the V-berth, midships and aft staterooms. For the salon my plan was a new-generation mini-split in the upper helm console with the inside(evap) unit hung from the overhead over the divider between the lower helm and salon sitting area. Mermaid in Ft Myers is good, Flagship Chillers in Miami is good. PM me if you want full story on Marineaire. They're a bunch of thugs.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieclemons View Post
    Holden, do you have a part # on the exchanger? And what hose did you use? Thanks,

This is the link, not sure if it's the 300,000 or 360,000btu unit. Scroll down for titanium units.
    https://www.brazetek.com/shell-tube-heat-exchangers

Running 2 systems.
    Port 2 x 7,000btu units, 1 x 5,000 unit, Eskimo ice machine.
    Stbd 1 x 16,000btu unit, 2 x Sea Frost bait freezer units(don't know btu's)

We're running 2 pumps controlled by the port and stbd pump trigger boxes.
    So far it's been very good, biggest issue was figuring out how to get the air out of the glycol side.

Used sch80 pvc pipe and silicone heater hose for all of the connections.
    Port has 2 manifold (supply and return) locations, 1 under the master floor for the 3 stateroom units and the other in the back of the ER where the coolers and pumps are which is right next to the Eskimo.
    Stbd is simple with 1 manifold (supply and return) in the back corner of the ER.

Probably should take some photos and post here.
    Last edited by Cricket; 12-20-2023 at 09:39 PM.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    This is the link, not sure if it's the 300,000 or 360,000btu unit. Scroll down for titanium units.
    https://www.brazetek.com/shell-tube-heat-exchangers

Running 2 systems.
    Port 2 x 7,000btu units, 1 x 5,000 unit, Eskimo ice machine.
    Stbd 1 x 16,000btu unit, 2 x Sea Frost bait freezer units(don't know btu's)

We're running 2 pumps controlled by the port and stbd pump trigger boxes.
    So far it's been very good, biggest issue was figuring out how to get the air out of the glycol side.

Used sch80 pvc pipe and silicone heater hose for all of the connections.
    Port has 2 manifold (supply and return) locations, 1 under the master floor for the 3 stateroom units and the other in the back of the ER where the coolers and pumps are which is right next to the Eskimo.
    Stbd is simple with 1 manifold (supply and return) in the back corner of the ER.

Probably should take some photos and post here.
    I ended up leaving pumps on continuous run with their own breakers because Marineaire unit pump relay triggers were completely unreliable. That being said, thanks for posting the link I saved it for future reference when we return to boat life.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL