Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Another Access Mystery

I didn't want to confuse the other AC access thread. So here goes with the next one. Master stateroom on a 46c. The air handler blower motor is on its last leg. POS is only 45 years old.

The panel in front of the air handler that has the controls and vent in it appears to tuck in behind the headliner. Has anybody pulled one of these units out and replaced? I know it's screws and glue but it helps to know where to start.

Thanks
    Attached Images

Re: Another Access Mystery

I haven't pulled mine but have a 40 year old 46C with the same POS equipment. Following to see how you wind up doing it as I expect failure from mine within the next 10 years.

i had a 1977 46c, any possibility to access it from above in the salon? might be easier and less destructive. maybe behind the wet bar/ice maker or through the top under the dash
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

45 series 1 same master set up. I swapped my original big aluminum box evaporator/blower to a new maraineaire about ten years ago. My boat has a premade access panel below the evap. I cant see any other way of accessing it since you have the finish panel in front where the controls are, the salon bulkhead behind and dash above. access from below the unit is the only way. I used lots of silicone antivibration tape and silicone mounts when mounting the new one. Two aluminum angle between the front of compartment to rear and situated new evap on top of that.
    Last edited by bostonhatteras; 12-20-2023 at 09:45 PM.

Gotcha. I saw the trim strips where the horizontal panel under it wasn't solid for the width of the compartment like the front panel. Thanks.

Was it possible to see the evaporator in the salon from that area when you pulled the panels under that compartment?

Thanks

The evaporator is right there as soon as you open the access panel. On mine, this evap serves the salon and the master stateroom, with registers above in the dash and the other register as it is in your picture. If I remember I'll try to take a picture when I'm down there later today and post it .