Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Cutting hole in salon floor for generator replacement

1984 46 sportfish. Replacing original generator. It wont fit out existing hatch. Any tips pictures on new access and repair?

Re: Cutting hole in salon floor for generator replacement

You will need to unbolt the components to the generator and the block should be able to exit without alterations. The dimensions of the replacement will dictate whether you are going to need modifications.

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54 MY with ext)
    Tampa

Call me at 727-638-9021. I can tell you where there is a hidden hatch that can be removed. I have the same boat built in 82 and titled as an 83 so they should be the same.

Send a text first so I answer. Get too many spam callers so I don't pick up numbers I don't know.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Here is a drawing of my hatch layout. I don't know why my pictures are always so blurry and sideways or upside down.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by madhatter1; 12-19-2023 at 06:05 PM.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Usually,, Old one out in pieces.
    New one in , in pieces.

I do hope Madhatter1 notes help.

I don't know if this will help, but when I installed the Norpro in my old boat, yes I took the old one out in pieces, but when I installed the new one, I suspended it by its end instead of by its top and dropped it in genny end first. As it made contact with the bed, I slid it back a little at a time while my buddy slowly lowered it, until it was flat in the correct position. Then we reconnected the hoist to the top of the unit and picked it up a bit to help position it correctly below deck.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

I have an 83 model of same boat. Prior owner pulled out the Onan and re-built it then re-installed. He shared the attached pictures with me which may be helpful to you.

IMG_20190906_162001927.jpg
    IMG_20190906_163606958.jpg
    IMG_20190927_082032408.jpg

If the OP's boat is configured like mine (should be) the aft hatch that needs to be unbolted and slid forward to remove make the swap easy. Captain Dave pointed out the hatch that you would have no idea was there and said that's there for a generator swap. When we layed down the teak and holly sole we made sure all access was still available.

Brian posted as I was typing. So there it is. No easy peasy but very doable. I love my classic well thought out Hatteras.
    Last edited by madhatter1; 12-19-2023 at 08:49 PM.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP