Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Steering wheel Edson knob

I’m considering installing one of these string knobs on the flybridge. They’re fairly expensive and I’m hoping that they will make driving and turning a little easier from the flybridge. I wanted to know if anybody else has tried it and how they like it or dislike it.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Re: Steering wheel Edson knob

On a hydraulic steering system, it will never be in the same place when rudders are centered.

I remember on one boat, it would keep catching my shorts when I walked by.

Pending your reach, is it comfortable to reach the knob (total arc) while swinging the the whole wheel a turn or two?
    I can not reach the far arc of either of my wheels most of the time (mostly while seated).

Just things to think about.
    Let us know how it works out if you get one.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 12-14-2023 at 03:38 PM.

If you really want it to be easy to turn the wheel add power steering.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Power steering on a hydraulic system is new to me is that a possibility or a joke?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    I rarely touch my wheels. When docking, I manually move the rudders just a bit at times to bias the prop wash. All other times with FU/NFU/Auto on the AP.

We removed PS from a buds Hatt 74. Moved the ram out to the outermost hole on the rudder tiller. Doesn't miss PS a bit. However, takes slightly more turning to move the rudder manually lock to lock. He also rarely touches the wheel & operates like I do, So still not an issue.

So, Seven; Question back to you; You need more leverage? Faster turning? Easier turning? Have an AP?

Faster and easier and less turning would be nice. I too never use the steering when docking it’s only for making big turns. It just seems like it takes forever to go from port to starboard. I had a Chris Craft and the total turns were for each way and mine. I believe her around eight.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Faster and easier and less turning would be nice. I too never use the steering when docking it’s only for making big turns. It just seems like it takes forever to go from port to starboard. I had a Chris Craft and the total turns were for each way and mine. I believe her around eight.
    ..Shot that down, Easy takes more turns.

I remember my old 34, less than 4 turns with a wet cigarette. Amazing how fast and easy.

There are cheaper suicide knobs out there to experiment with before you take that Edison plunge.
    https://www.amazon.com/PACEWALKER-St...35614931&psc=1
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 12-14-2023 at 06:07 PM.

I had one of those on my 24' Center Console. On that boat, I wouldn't be without it.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

i have one on my 24 center console, love it. i dont think i would us it much on the hatt. i mostly drive from the lower helm
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Power steering on a hydraulic system is new to me is that a possibility or a joke?
    Not a joke at all, we put in a Teleflex system when we did the CAT repower, Hynautic had a similar product at the time. Both systems are powered by a hydraulic pump on one or both engines. BTW, 4 turns lock to lock. These days power steering on new boats is either an all electric set up or hydraulic like what we have but using an electric hydraulic pump instead of engine driven.
    Even have power steering on our 32' outboard center console.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E