Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Rebuild or Replace Ideal Windlass?

Hi Guys,

I'm a first time boat owner and I bought a 1981 70' CPMY that's a total fixer upper. I'm slowly restoring it and getting it ready to cruise, but I'm stuck on a couple of things.

On of those things is my windlass. I have a 32volt Ideal that is beat up and ugly and everything works, except the gears didn't get spaced right, so they got chewed up. I have an estimate for 6500.00 to fix it, but it will still be beat up and ugly. I've posted a video on youtube about it if you want to see pictures. I haven't posted enough here, so I can't put in a link, but just go to youtube and search Shay la Vie

Has anyone replaced their windlass and if so, how did you do it?

It's really important that I get this right as I plan on being on the hook a lot in the future!

Thanks for the input!
    Shay
    MY Shay la Vie

Re: Rebuild or Replace Ideal Windlass?

Thought you installed a Max already.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 12-13-2023 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Thought you installed a Max already.
    No, I wasn't sure that was the right move either and too expensive to mess up =-)

I got lucky, found someone to fix the gear box on my ideal for 1k... so I'm happy with that. I can repair/chrome the top later. =-)

Are you sure it’s 32 volt? All I’ve seen are 24 volt. Thought your video said you found someone to fix the gears.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

The Galley Maid expert who likely built your windlass lives two hours away from you. Call Rick Shaffrick at 561 262 8104. He built my windlass in 1985. He still works for Galley Maid in Okeechobee. He drove to Tampa, removed mine, rebuilt it on his bench, returned and installed for a couple boat bucks.

One of my best vendor experiences ever.

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54 MY with ext)
    Tampa