Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

40DC Charleston or Savannah

Long shot but we're narrowing down our options for a loop boat and I've become infatuated with the 40DC. But, never seen one in person. We recently left Charleston after 9 years but will be back over the holidays as my daughter is in CHS and my son is in Savannah. Happy to buy you a beverage in exchange for a 20 min tour.
    -Jeff

Re: 40DC Charleston or Savannah

Hi,
    I have owned a 1989 40 DC (series 1) for about 12 years now. We are not interested in selling but it has been a very good boat for us and how we use it. The 40 DC has a nice aft queen birth although the 2 heads are a bit on the small side. its a easy boat for 2 to handle and maintain. Ours has only been in fresh water in the Great lakes then freshwater lakes in central Canada. These type of boats are pretty much rust free. If I was going to do the loop I think I would like a slightly larger Hatters like a 52'. The extra room may be worth it if you can afford it. The 40 DC could handle the loop but may be a bit small for living on full time for many months. The 40DC's engine room is a bit tight for working on unless you are fairly small and light (which I unfortunately am not).

Buy the best boat you can afford.

Soft goods (carpets, flooring, blinds / drapes / valances / mattresses / bedding / furniture / canvas) are fairly easy and not too expensive to replace. The big ticket items are the mechanical systems (main engines, transmissions, generator, HVAC, plumbing, charger / inverter, solar, batteries, and the state of the hull.

Good luck in your search. Try to find a well maintained fresh water boat if you can.

Mark
    Lake of the Woods
    1989 40DC (series1)

Re: 40DC Charleston or Savannah

I think there may be a 40DC for sale in the Haverstraw NY area.
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA