Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Access to AC in master stateroom

Seems like one thing after another! The AC in the master stateroom on my 1983 53' Extended Deckhouse has gone out. After diagnosing with a tech through a small access hole, we determined that that the only thing wrong is the blower/fan motor. Now the hard part. I cannot see a logical way to get at this air handler. Looks like the boat was built around it. I just spent several hours unscrewing panels in the master closet Where I think the access should be. I unscrew the panels but then they still won't budge. How did they design access to this? Any experience in servicing this unit and how to get access to it would be much appreciated. 20231127_165143.jpg Sorry this is sideways. Not sure why that happened.
    Last edited by Cap'n Kirk; 11-27-2023 at 04:58 PM.

Re: Access to AC in master stateroom

Screwed and glued
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

A Sawall with a very sharp blade is going to be your best friend. These boats were built for the first owners only everything was built in and then the walls put up. Very difficult to do any work unless you alter the access.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Just cut a bigger opening.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Another blower only lasting 40 years. 1983 must have been an off year in the blower industry.

I've had mine apart. Those panels can be removed. Get all of the screws out and use a tiny(thin) pry bar. Don't give up so easily. You CAN DO IT!!
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I've had mine apart. Those panels can be removed. Get all of the screws out and use a tiny(thin) pry bar. Don't give up so easily. You CAN DO IT!!
    I was going to suggest cutting a hole in the hull and getting it from the back side so you can keep the cabinet intact...

As Skychenet said those panels are removable. I can see the screws in your picture. Its not that dificult to remove them. Good luck!

+2. So far everything has been accessible with a screw driver on ours.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Just a thought, most finish interior screws on my boat are brass and strip very easily so this would be a good time to replace them.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.