Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Access to AC in master stateroom

On our 54' EDMY the master stateroom AC was in the starboard side of the closet, behind a box/panel. I had to remove the panel to get to the old airhandler and remove it to install the new unit.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Well thank you to everyone for the advice. I especially enjoyed the suggestion to cut a hole in the hull to access the air handler. These old AC units are amazing that they still function after 40 years at all. Hoping to get a bit more time out of them though. After much unscrewing, removing brads, and prying glued pieces apart, we got the access we needed. The motor for the fan had seized. Had to find a compatible unit since the Dayton fan motor is no longer made. I found one on Ebay but they wanted 1k for it so I found a compatible motor and retrofitted it to the squirrel cage. Now works like a champ again!

Next time, hope it's a while, will be easier to get at it. Not sure, other than to reduce any noise, they glued all the wood together as they did. I will be more prepared for the next venture. Thanks again everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Kirk View Post
    Well thank you to everyone for the advice. I especially enjoyed the suggestion to cut a hole in the hull to access the air handler. These old AC units are amazing that they still function after 40 years at all. Hoping to get a bit more time out of them though. After much unscrewing, removing brads, and prying glued pieces apart, we got the access we needed. The motor for the fan had seized. Had to find a compatible unit since the Dayton fan motor is no longer made. I found one on Ebay but they wanted 1k for it so I found a compatible motor and retrofitted it to the squirrel cage. Now works like a champ again!

Next time, hope it's a while, will be easier to get at it. Not sure, other than to reduce any noise, they glued all the wood together as they did. I will be more prepared for the next venture. Thanks again everyone.
    I actually found Dayton replacement fans on Amazon for 150-200$ - Just FYI
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL