Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Maxwell windlass install

Sometimes going the overkill route bites you in the ass. Purchased magna lugs for all 2/0 terminations and then found out the engineers who designed the equipment didnt have those in mind. Came up with grinding down sides of magna lugs to make them narrower and cutting up a polyethene storage box to make dividers/spacers between the lugs. The spacers are drilled to have an interference fit over the lower nut. Same situation applied on the blue seas surface mount breaker. Lugs were torqued to 100 inch pounds on motor and 75 on breaker. All cables/wire come into the rode locker through 2" pvc tube or liquid tite conduit to protect from damage. doubled cushion clamps tapped into aluminum plate above hold up the 2/0. there are two 14-2 sense wires attached to 12- and up terminal for the chain counter feature.
    Attached Images

Instructions tell installer to ensure control box is well within reach for service. This panel between forward bunks seemed like the most logical place to mount the control box and terminations. The little door only ever lead to the empty space between bunks but i didnt want to loose access ability to that space so I made a swinging door mount for the terminations. The little door is on a piano hinge and held shut by a simple hook and eye. The wires/cable are all clamped on the rear of the termination panel and then have loops to allow movement. I have room on terminal strips for future expansion, if necessary to add foot switches or other controls. The reversing solenoid is mounted within this space too, to avoid moisture getting near it. A sharp eye familiar with the 45' convertible may notice that the aera where the crew head was between the bunks is now significantly shallower. I cut the encloser back some years ago to allow more sole. The enclosure originally came right up to the bilge hatch. The additional 4 ft sq of sole mean a lot to someone trying to get dressed.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by bostonhatteras; 03-03-2024 at 08:53 AM.

With termination panel open.
    Attached Images

Mission complete. No issues whatsoever with the chain stopper in close proximity to windlass. 100’ G43 spliced to 8 plait 3/4 with #2 mantus swivel and Fortress FX-37.
    Attached Images