Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AC install

AC install

The past summer I had my 2 of 3 working AC units recharged for the last time (or so I hope). I started researching prices to have the 3 cruisaire units replaced. Needless to say I suffered sticker shock. $30,000 to have 3 units replaced. I have a fairly strong education in electronics but nothing in heating and cooling. What I wondering is if it’s possible to replace these units myself. Logically I figure there is probably 220vac supplied to the units, water lines and control lines for the thermostat. All 3 of my units are two part units. I would probably have to have an HVAC tech charge the systems once installed. Has anyone here attempted this project? Should I rethink DIY?
    SummerWind
    1994 Hatteras
    48 cockpit motoryacht
    Muskegon, Mi

Www.youtube.com/@greatlakesyachting

Re: AC install

$30,000 is a ludicrously high quote
    I would speak to ocean breeze in Stuart and get them to quote for what’s needed
    Your air handlers are probably ok So three compressor units $10000 ish plus maybe $2000 labour

That’s encouraging! I’m based out of Grand Haven Michigan so I think Stuart Florida would be out. Replacing the compressors should be straight forward I’d think. 220acv, water lines and reefer lines? Not sure about the existing refrigerant as to how to recycle or capture when replacing the compressors
    SummerWind
    1994 Hatteras
    48 cockpit motoryacht
    Muskegon, Mi

I assume this quote covers both the condensers and the air handlers… installing remote system Isa but complex and you may run into some warranty issues with the tech finalizing the charge and start not being willing to work on something they didn’t install.

A small leak in your systems should be traceable and repairable. Has your tech used a Sniffer to find the leaks?

If you re going to spend that kind of money, you may want to consider switching to chillers instead of remote condensers. Chillers have become increasingly popular on smaller oats. I got rid of my remote system 6 years ago and installed two chillers and 5 air handlers on my 53. Back then the hardware was about $22k which wasn’t cheap but the system has been fantastic. Besides the repower, definitely the best upgrade I did on my boat
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by ian w View Post
    $30,000 is a ludicrously high quote
    I would speak to ocean breeze in Stuart and get them to quote for what’s needed
    Your air handlers are probably ok So three compressor units $10000 ish plus maybe $2000 labour
    FYI, I've not had good luck with trying to get an R22 compressor out of Ocean Breeze for the last several weeks. I hear their customer service is not what it used to be and at least my experience confirms that.

I've decided to go in a different direction.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Switching to R410a would save you some money. And your air handler will work fine.
    I recently replaced a Cruisair unit with a Dometic unit and changed to R410a. I recall I saved about $100 on Gas. I think 30#s of R22 is $800 plus now.

Good luck.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

I installed 3 single-piece units aboard Pau Hana, and other than a faulty unit out of the box from MarineAire, I had no issues. I ran new water and power lines to each unit (V-berth, midships, aft stateroom). Biggest challenge was in making sure each unit had good airflow. I made this choice based on the video from Trying Not to Sink when they did the same thing. The only real issue we ran into was the MarineAire unit for the master stateroom was defective out of the box, and they denied warranty coverage. Mermaid in Ft Lauderdale recently changed hands, but I would rather take a chance with them than ever deal with the criminals at MarineAire.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Watching YouTube and came across the CTM split unit. It appears I can convert to one of their split systems for about $2500/ea. I plan to hang onto my current air handlers and just replace the Cruisaires. I’m pretty sure I can get my local HVAC tech to charge the system. I think I can handle this. I plan to only replace one and see how it goes. If successful I will replace the other two. Thanks for everyone’s input
    SummerWind
    1994 Hatteras
    48 cockpit motoryacht
    Muskegon, Mi

Recently I replaced 2 units in our 58 YF for 18.000 BTU self contained units. One in the aft cabin that services the mid cabing and the other in the salon. The only modification was putting new water lines from the pump, wwich I did using PEX tubbing. By the way the units are Flagship. Very well made. I originally had split systems with the compresors in the engine room, that were a pain in the neck to sercvice do to their age.

You said you had them recharged which points to a leak in the system. If that’s the case, the leak can be at the air handlers so replacing the condensers isn’t going to fix the issue.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat