Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: AC install

Re: AC install

Quote Originally Posted by piripucha View Post
    Recently I replaced 2 units in our 58 YF for 18.000 BTU self contained units. One in the aft cabin that services the mid cabing and the other in the salon. The only modification was putting new water lines from the pump, wwich I did using PEX tubbing. By the way the units are Flagship. Very well made. I originally had split systems with the compresors in the engine room, that were a pain in the neck to sercvice do to their age.
    Other than the brand(s), sounds like you and i did similar things. I ran new power cables from the old Crusair boxes in the genny room, reusing the existing breakers.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    You said you had them recharged which points to a leak in the system. If that’s the case, the leak can be at the air handlers so replacing the condensers isn’t going to fix the issue.
    I suppose I will have to take that chance. Maybe once the new compressor is installed and system charged I can have the tech use his sniffer to see if it’s leaking. I guess it’s a risk I will have to take
    SummerWind
    1994 Hatteras
    48 cockpit motoryacht
    Muskegon, Mi

Www.youtube.com/@greatlakesyachting

Quote Originally Posted by Phasma2128 View Post
    I suppose I will have to take that chance. Maybe once the new compressor is installed and system charged I can have the tech use his sniffer to see if it’s leaking. I guess it’s a risk I will have to take
    Once compressor is installed, before letting them put $$ freon in, have them pressurize system with dry nitrogen and leak check common problem points with bubble solution. I used to be a service manager for a Thermo King refrigeration and air conditioning dealership, and had to get my EPA certification as well as attend 4 weeks of factory training, so I'm not blowing smoke. A lot of times the leak will be at a solder joint or coupling at the compressor or at the air handler/evaporator.

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

​Thanks Rob! That is a great idea. I’m assuming nitrogen is far less expensive than refrigerant.
    SummerWind
    1994 Hatteras
    48 cockpit motoryacht
    Muskegon, Mi

Www.youtube.com/@greatlakesyachting

Quote Originally Posted by Phasma2128 View Post
    ​Thanks Rob! That is a great idea. I’m assuming nitrogen is far less expensive than refrigerant.
    Sorry I took so long - Yes, dry nitrogen is WAY cheaper than refrigerant. But it's also not a big moneymaker for the service company so they don't like to do it. Feel free to email me - rwaldrop13@gmail.com - for more info/advice. If I can help you save some money I'd be glad to.

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL