Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stanchion replacements

I need to replace 8 forward Starboard stanchions (don’t ask, dumb mistake) on our 1985 61’ MY starting just forward of the stair entryway. Fortunately the teak railing and stainless end caps were undamaged. Would need entire stanchions (base, upright and clip to attach teak). I have reached out to several recommended competent welders in our area N Myrtle Beach SC but no one seems interested. Any thoughts on possible salvage yards or source for replacements…Thanks
    1985 61MY #369 / Redonna Gail / N Myrtle Beach SC

Re: Stanchion replacements

The old Hatteras stanchion bases are taller than off the shelf modern ones. The tubes are just plain stainless steel, easy to find. The top fittings are also pretty unique

Have you tried Sams?

I may a few bases, since I removed all the weather boards and built a solid fiberglass structure
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I'm going to be going to a local marine casting place in the next few days to see about duplicating some of the hardware no one can find. Can you possibly send a few good pictures?
    If you can my cell is 586- six one zero 4493 , or bob at rcmtool.com

Hopefully you can find some, but I would like to check this lead out if possible

I talked with them about stancions the other day, they said "possibly have patterns". Also they said to look for a 5 digit pattern number.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Wondering if you found a good solution for replacing those? I need to replace about a dozen from hurricane Ian. Thanks.

Unfortunately couldn’t find any source for replacement even the bases are impossible to find, Sam’s only had 1 and it was a 3 hole. Fortunately I did locate a source for fabricating new ones less than 3 hrs from my location

Quote Originally Posted by skinners1 View Post
    Unfortunately couldn’t find any source for replacement even the bases are impossible to find, Sam’s only had 1 and it was a 3 hole. Fortunately I did locate a source for fabricating new ones less than 3 hrs from my location
    Do you have any details you can share?

Quote Originally Posted by IslandGirl43 View Post
    Wondering if you found a good solution for replacing those? I need to replace about a dozen from hurricane Ian. Thanks.
    The place I had that is local to me only does brass that you then have to get chromed, so I don't know if that is anything people would want or not.

I also have checked out the 3d printing of solid 316ss. While possible, I don't know what the surface finish is going to look like. In pictures it looks rough. I have requested some samples, and they should be arriving some time this week. They may or may not be able to be polished.

Do you need bases or the upright tubes or?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    Do you have any details you can share?
    I will gladly share his info via pm if interested. His work is extremely professional as well as communication and the entire process was also…. Very pleased. Just need to install the new stainless hardware now. Utilized Bed-it tape and install was very straightforward…
    Attached Images

The haul out location I used a few years back bent on of mine. They took it to our local shop that custom makes everything for boats. They made one to replace the bent one. It was perfect. They recently made a stern ladder for me. If you have the dimensions, I’m sure they would take on the job. It’s located in Richmond California. If you’re interested, private message me.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I have two brand new Hatteras SS stanchions that I bought from Sam's about 25 years ago as "Just in case
    I ever need them and they are in my storage container... They have the regular round base at the bottom
    and the top is for 1 1/4" tubing. 4 deg tilt from the bottom. Don't remember OAL but I can get it if interested
    I have a bunch of brand new Hatteras stuff that has accumulated in my storage over the ownership of
    four Hatteras' over the last 4 or 5 decades. Anyone interested I will make a list of stuff. I don't know
    how to post pictures on this site but I do know how to text them to individual numbers...Please call me
    in NJ at 732-991-5665....please not before 10 am or after 8 pm (I'm an old guy)....