Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: I guess my beloved 53C will have to go....

Hey Juice you ever see the movie The Laundrymat? I saw it last night on Netflix it’s the story of the Ethan Allen sightseeing boat that sunk on a lake up in Ny. Their insurance didn’t pay out and one of the women who lost her husband started following the money through all these reinsurers and shell corps in the islands. Be funny if it weren’t true.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    Sure it is. Assuming your policy doesn't have a windstorm exclusion, flying debris is a covered event.
    Not when his pool cage crushes yours because he didn't cut his screens. ($70k) The beams fall into the pool and gouge it all over. ($20k to resurface and retile) None of that is covered and I can't hold him liable in a storm. His roof tiles break your windows, but that doesn't meet the deductible because there's flood damage anyway. Etc etc.

What a racquet.
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 07-28-2023 at 10:57 AM.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Hey Juice you ever see the movie The Laundrymat? I saw it last night on Netflix it’s the story of the Ethan Allen sightseeing boat that sunk on a lake up in Ny. Their insurance didn’t pay out and one of the women who lost her husband started following the money through all these reinsurers and shell corps in the islands. Be funny if it weren’t true.
    Nope - and will watch it! I've been in the financial industry for 30+ years and it still amazes me how everything is a scam. From SBF enjoying dropped charges to every single small cap stock being completely manipulated by hedge fund algorithms...it's a giant onion of villainy and scum.
    1984 52C

Oh no! I've been following along in your journey because the 52C (its a 52 right???) is such a cool boat and I remember seeing yours forsale before you bought it. Seems like we have similar ideas about financial rackets / self insuring too.

Do you mind sharing your general area? I'm just north and clearwater and I'm curious how we would have fared if Ian stayed N. They always report peak damage immediately after the storm and then everyone forgets and moves on while the locals are left hurting for a long time. Did your house flood?

Quote Originally Posted by VieEnRose View Post
    Oh no! I've been following along in your journey because the 52C (its a 52 right???) is such a cool boat and I remember seeing yours forsale before you bought it. Seems like we have similar ideas about financial rackets / self insuring too.

Do you mind sharing your general area? I'm just north and clearwater and I'm curious how we would have fared if Ian stayed N. They always report peak damage immediately after the storm and then everyone forgets and moves on while the locals are left hurting for a long time. Did your house flood?
    I'm sorry I became busy for a month and missed your post. Yes, a 52C. (faceplam my thread title)

The storm was really, really bad here. The reporting was pathetic and most have no idea. The NE eye wall was over my house for at least 8 hours, stalled. Sanibel is wrecked and FM Beach is as well. Most mangrove trees in Ding Darling are dead - it's quite a sight. Sure, they handle saltwater - but apparently not THAT much.
    I'm right by the Sanibel Causeway and had only about 14" in my house. Well, now that I'm nearing the end of the rebuild I can say that was about $400k damage inside and another $150k outside. Even the motors of my boat lift were submerged by the surge. Pool pumps, A/Cs, irrigation, garage and all other doors...everything had to be replaced.

Thank goodness I have a floating dock. The Hatt just bumped around there like it was no big deal. If I had a fixed dock and it was 7' underwater, the big girl might have gotten loose and destroyed the neighborhood - or at least ended on top of the dock.

1873 was the last time a storm like Ian hit this area. So, I hope that's it until I'm about 200 years old.
    1984 52C