Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I guess my beloved 53C will have to go....

I left early last weekend to take her up to get painted in Port Charlotte - and couldn't get out of the canal. Ian washed so much silt into areas that I can't get out of my canal unless high tide in the Winter and medium to high tide in the Summer. That's not going to work and I don't foresee a big dredging project here for at least a couple years. There are areas that were 13 feet before the storm that are now 13 inches. I've been taking her out on weekends and it's just too tricky timing the tides - with added family time constraints.

In a couple years, I'll get a 4' draft sportfish...perhaps a 45C. In the meantime, I'll pay off my mortgage and drop my flood and wind insurance because it's mostly worthless, apparently.

I'll get her up to Safe Cove in the next couple weeks for painting, trim tab repair and a bottom job....about $45k. An appropriate price would be about $90k before the work and $135k afterward. If you're considering a 53C, you might want to get this one before the work and paint as you'd like. It only has one scratched area from dock rash during Ian.

Everything works on the boat because I've redone everything needing attention. I think there are 6 things left on my original list of items. (new fridge, carpet, new bonding wire, install new spotlight. The engines run really, really well. All canvas is replaced and the boat has everything...restored fighting chair, tested watermaker, w/d....everything.

Anyway, I'll try to put a proper listing up if anyone knows someone interested - give me a couple days.

20220925_120556.jpg20220926_190716.jpg
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Re: I guess my beloved 53C will have to go....

Juice,

We're in Punta Gorda. Luckily of for us, no issues with tides or canals. Have you considered finding a spot up this way to keep her? I'd bet you can find a spot in Port Charlotte.

We are on the same "game plan" as you. Paid off the mortgage yesterday. Plan to drop insurance in October, but figure we might as well keep it (for what is worth, if anything) during the riskiest part of the season. Current rate is pretty low, but renewal on August 28th is outrageous.

Anyway, best of luck on the sale if you decide to list her.

PS. If she doesn't sell by Labor Day (and you can get out of the canal), come on down the South Seas Resort and join a few other Hat owners that are meeting up there.

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    In the meantime, I'll pay off my mortgage and drop my flood and wind insurance because it's mostly worthless, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag930 View Post
    Juice,

We're in Punta Gorda. Luckily of for us, no issues with tides or canals. Have you considered finding a spot up this way to keep her? I'd bet you can find a spot in Port Charlotte.

We are on the same "game plan" as you. Paid off the mortgage yesterday. Plan to drop insurance in October, but figure we might as well keep it (for what is worth, if anything) during the riskiest part of the season. Current rate is pretty low, but renewal on August 28th is outrageous.

Anyway, best of luck on the sale if you decide to list her.

PS. If she doesn't sell by Labor Day (and you can get out of the canal), come on down the South Seas Resort and join a few other Hat owners that are meeting up there.
    Thanks! I like having her right behind the house. I'll go down and check things over as soon as I finish typing this.
    It's such a mess down here. People don't/can't really understand the eye wall was over this small area for 9 straight hours of Cat 4/5. There's SO much work to be done, I'd bet it'll be close to 5 years before all the canals are redredged....and mine will be last. It's just a bummer. She's so nice and I put a lot of time and $ in. But 4' works and 5' doesn't in the Winter.

She'll be up at Safe Cove for a couple months and We Paint Boats will clean her up. It's a little time for me to change my mind.
    1984 52C

I know you have a fine ship. But I have to interject a thought;
    Her sale value now,, VS the cost of repainting then marketing her, Do you think you will recover your upgrade expenses PLUS on resale closing?
    When I sold my Finn, I lost my asp on repainting investments.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    I know you have a fine ship. But I have to interject a thought;
    Her sale value now,, VS the cost of repainting then marketing her, Do you think you will recover your upgrade expenses PLUS on resale closing?
    When I sold my Finn, I lost my asp on repainting investments.
    I've been grinding on that question for a month...very conflicted.

There's just a little scrape at the bootstrap (from Ian) that must be fixed. But a newly painted stripe would cover the spot after repair and the hull can be buffed out. The topside needs the paint, but some guy wanting a fishing boat might just roll and tip it and keep the change.

On the other hand, snowbirds wanting a home in the marina would pay-up for paint. But hell, there aren't many marinas left around here!
    She has all new canvass and still looks good from 20 feet.

I need a bottom job and trim tab repair anyway. So, yeah this might be a bad idea but I have a couple more weeks to think about it.
    1984 52C

Sorry to hear it I had my flood insurance go from 1000 to 10,000 this year. The windstorm renews this fall and I’m holding my breath. Fortunately I’m in the same position to pay it off and self insure. We’ve been here since 1989 but in 04 Frances tore the roof off and gutted the house. It was 18 months and the department of financial affairs working on our behalf before we saw dime one. I even had to buy my own trailer to live in while the house was being built. We had to refin and take our equity back out to cover what the insurance co wouldn’t. But we completely demo’d the house and rebuilt to 170 beyond the codes. My neighbor just had his windstorm jump from 8to 20k so I’m probably looking at the same. It really sucks when you pay all these premiums and then they jack the crap out of you anyway. It’s just sick. Good luck over there I see the water temp hit 101 something spools up in the gulf with those temps look out.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

But then again when the fireballs start rolling across the Atlantic and your self insured Big pucker factor.
    Attached Images
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    But then again when the fireballs start rolling across the Atlantic and your self insured Big pucker factor.
    Funny how it works. I built my house like the boat - brick schmitthouse. 9 hours under that eye wall and there was almost no wind damage. I didn't even lose a roof tile. All my damage was from pieces of the neighbor's house blowing off and hitting mine...which isn't covered.
    So, I'm going to get the very biggest deductible and lowest payout for wind. Quasi-self insuring.

But flooding? The water had never been above the seawall in my neighborhood since it started in 1968. Surrounded by mangroves, there's plenty of room to spread-out the liquid. But this one came not from the SW but the NW. So, the water came rolling down the street and drained out the canals! Freak. The 13' surge washed across the river and canals and filled them like snowdrifts.

$14k per year for flood ins and the max payout is 240k? I'll self insure that...and doubt THAT will happen again in my lifetime.
    1984 52C

What about using this at the end of your canal? It will blow out the silt and sand? Scott aerator. Aqua sweepscottaerator /aquasweep-pond-algae-removalAdd the .com Back in

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    Funny how it works. I built my house like the boat - brick schmitthouse. 9 hours under that eye wall and there was almost no wind damage. I didn't even lose a roof tile. All my damage was from pieces of the neighbor's house blowing off and hitting mine...which isn't covered.
    Sure it is. Assuming your policy doesn't have a windstorm exclusion, flying debris is a covered event.