Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rope cutters

Rope cutters

Hello all,
    Does any one have top cutters that they are happy with. We have a 2” shaft, 5” propeller hub and 1” between prop and cutlets bearing. Does anyone have one installed that you are happy with.

Re: Rope cutters

I had spurs installed and love them. In the St. Johns River these #@$holes put crab traps right in the middle of the channel, and half of them are ancient and grimy so you can barely see them in the daytime, at night forget about it. After the third time I was under the boat cutting ropes off in that nasty water, or suffered damage from hitting one, I started getting kind of pissy over it. I won't admit in writing that I aim for the damn things now that I have spurs when I see one in front of me in the channel, but you know, accidents do happen. Oops!

Re: Rope cutters

I don’t have any on my 53 but I ve had them on boats I ve run over the years. Mixed results… on the first boat they were installed by Spurs in FTL and we kept loosing expensive parts. Currently on the 116’ they be been holding up well for the last 2 years I ve been running it.

I don’t think they re worth it unless you routinely run in an area with lots of traps like the FL keys or New England
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat