Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

At what point is a vessel deemed “cursed”?

Noted house battery charger (sentry) wasn't powered on this AM.
    Attached Images
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Re: At what point is a vessel deemed “cursed”?

I know of two boats that I would classify as "cursed" The first was a stunningly customized wooden sportfisherman that I lusted for as a young guy in my teens and twenties. Many years later she was for sale and stiil beautiful - this time within my reach financially. The listing broker was a friend who made me aware that she was for sale because the last owner was electrocuted and perished in the engineroom. No thanks. Then there was a rather famous 58' LRC in which the owner and wife both expired after a minor fire in the engineroom triggered the CO2 system while they were in there. As always - YMMV.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Was that first boat an Egg Harbor, by any chance?

That list is growing larger Replace all original lighting that remainsNew shorepower cordsReplace main fuses with circuit breakersNew battery charger/wiringWhatever else Scott can talk me intoLOL. I gotta say, Scott (boatsb) has been there for me A LOT when I’ve encountered problems. Very knowledgeable and helpful.

Did you change the name of the boat? That’s a long standing bad luck omen. Bananas on board? Red headed women? There’s a list of stuff that will give you bad Ju ju. Next time you leave the dock do 2 counter clockwise turns. Supposed to unwind bad JuJu. Those of us who fish will tell you it’s 90% luck. Anytime we’re going through a bad streak I unwind the JuJu it seems to work.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

The name was changed 5 years ago. No bananas, no red heads, BUT the admiral did crack the master head mirror. I keep telling her it needs to be replaced, decor is her minimal responsibility

I've had some boats that no matter how much love and money I threw at them, just kept breaking, and breaking, and breaking. When keeping it on the water becomes a fulltime job you have to throw in the towel. I've had other boats I've beat the snot out of but were always reliable. This boat is a mix. I had an expensive engine problem on this boat, but that wasn't the boat's fault, it was the idiot mechanics I hired but ended up being terrible, so I don't count that. Other stuff breaks, most recently the hydraulic steering, but I've had that problem on every boat I've had hydraulic steering on. I had a Chris-Craft Roamer that I considered well and truly cursed. Everything that could go wrong did, every time I took it out. The one thing it never did was sink, but it tried that a couple times, I was just able to thwart its efforts.

My research results in (2) 32v charger options that I can find, Analytic and Sterling. Analytic has options up to 40a whereas the sterling is only 20a. Has any of the sterling users found the 20a to be lacking in performance? I’m using Trojan- 890 batteries with the attached profile
    Attached Images

If you're still using the combo house/starting bank setup I would go for the bigger charger. 20a is not that much when you consider how many different DC power draws these boats have. Several dozen lights, toilets, fans, blowers, dozens of pumps, it's a lot when you add it all together.

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    My research results in (2) 32v charger options that I can find, Analytic and Sterling. Analytic has options up to 40a whereas the sterling is only 20a. Has any of the sterling users found the 20a to be lacking in performance? I’m using Trojan- 890 batteries with the attached profile
    Installed the Sterling about a year ago on our 61 MY. Both banks, starboard start and port house/start are well fed and happy…. No issues
    1985 61MY #369 / Redonna Gail / N Myrtle Beach SC