Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Oil additives and diesel fuel additives

Have 1997 DD 6V92s. Does anyone use oil additives and/or diesel fuel additives? If so, do you feel these additives are benefit to your engines? Thanks in advance!

Re: Oil additives and diesel fuel additives

DDC is rather set on oil specs. CF-2, no additives. Temperature sensitive to straight 30 or 40W oil.
    DDC also allows synthetic as long as it meets CF-2.

There are fuel specs. Mostly anything that burns including JP-5.

At the docks, regular diesel works fine. Valve-Tec pump fuel still meets these specs and may help some.
    Any other fuel additives are to help correct an existing issue (sheet in da fuel), will pass but may reduce higher performance.

Question back, why do you feel you need additives?
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 05-27-2023 at 07:36 PM.

Only fuel additive worth using IMHO is Biobor, you won't ever get any growth in the tanks with that stuff. It doesn't take much either. That said, I had a mechanic who would dump a ton (I'm talking several gallons) of Dexron transmission fluid into the fuel on my last boat depending on how full the tanks were. He swore it cleaned the injectors somehow. To his credit the boat did run noticeably smoother after that, but I'm not clear on how or why. The hatteras has had both engines rebuilt and new injectors so at least for the time being I don't have to worry about anything on this one.

I thought we should be adding a lubricity additive with the lower sulfur fuel?

I have been using Diesel Kleen, a friend uses something from Stanodyne?
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

I'm not going to write another novel about fuel additives every time someone asks. Try the search. But yes, you need a quality additive.

On second thought, never mind. Just keep running the garbage that passes for diesel fuel today. It's good for business.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375