Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Before you buy your next electronic device

My $.02.....

Have had Raymarine, Garmin and Furuno.

My experience:

1) As someone else mentioned in this thread, the days of repair are gone for the most part. Virtually impossible to purchase any parts (internal) to the devices or to troubleshoot hardware malfunctions.

2) Garmin, is basically useless for support. You can reach them pretty easily, but they will pull out the manual and read along with you. Forget about asking them how to do anything on an older system that isn't currently on the market. They couldn't even assist me loading tracks and waypoints into my MFD. Also, I had some damage to a open array radar base. Was told base could not be repaired as some water had entered. How does water get in the base if it is properly constructed? My other radar GMR18 (dome style) is older, but still working fine. Seems their dome style units work well, but MANY customer have complained about water intrusion issues on there open array systems.

3) Old Raymarine support was in the UK and awful. Since Axiom, I believe support is now here in the US and I've found it to be pretty decent for the most part. They also have a good forum that is monitored and answered by the techs. Sold that boat about 2 years ago, so that was my last contact with Ray support. I was very satisfied with my Axiom and Quantum radar. Lots of software updates, with fixes and improvements. Easy chart management, etc.

4) Furuno, IMHO is hands down the best support of any of the top manufactures. You get connected right away to guys who actually know what they are talking about. When I ditched my POS Garmin open array (will NEVER by a Garmin Radar again) and replaced it with a DRS25 Furuno/MFD12 I had some problems and wiring issues. These guys were great and had me working same day. Also, I needed a small part that was not sold - but they tracked one down and sent it to me. That to me is real support!! By the way, I think the DRS25 Furuno radar is better than any Garmin I have ever seen.

So I now have a mixed system onboard. My older 6012 Garmin MFD's/GMR18 radar and Furuno for radar. My autopilot, while old is by ComNav - another company, that I would rate superior on support.

PS, I also have a PC running OpenCPN, integrated with all the other devices using N2K, N0183, etc. as a third source. On my own for support on this, but the OPenCPN devs are awesome.

Re: Before you buy your next electronic device

Interesting account of all this. I have the impression that Garmin regularly comes out with entirely new products which are never backwards-compatible with their previous stuff. Furuno seems to go out of their way to try to make things backwards-compatible.

ComNav APs are very popular with the bluewater passagemaking group of recreational boaters.