Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Before you buy your next electronic device

I installed a simrad IMO autopilot on a 150 foot vessel and had a few technical issues. While their tech support took a l9ng time to contact I was given very competent help. I think Bill said it right. Go with a good dealer installer or don't go at all.

As a victron distributor I'm responsible for all the support of units sold through me. I will not sell to many resellers as they do not have the knowledge or expertise to support what they sell and they usually cause more trouble than they are worth.

I've had insane issues with all the brands and have actually logged into a radar through an interface on a laptop to load firmware. It's not a DIY world with the larger systems. It also takes spares and resources to properly troubleshoot this gear. Anyone buy a NMEA tester yet? Only $800 or so. But when you need it there's no substitute.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I just put a full garmin suite on my center console when I repowered with new Suzukis. 2 12” displays and in hull transducer. All integrated with the engine instruments. This Nema 2000 is finally real plug and play. Everything has improved so much in the last few years it’s really worth getting rid of the old stuff.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

The point of my post was to suggest that before purchasing significant arrays of electronics that in addition to researching features and price it would be prudent to contact the manufacturer's support network. After the original warranty expires I would expect a company to offer reasonable and TIMELY support for their products. In too many cases the company who produces the equipment will offer the newest and greatest at a slight discount rather than trying to help the customer. When you purchased the gear it was supposed to be the latest and greatest. My post was not to tout a particular company but to suggest that service and support are just as important as sales.
    1987 41' CD832
    Giddy Up
    Niantic, CT

We live in a throw away world. The days of sending something back for a guy with a soldering iron and osiliscope are gone. Unless it’s a software problem or still in warranty no matter how good the response is the answer is going to be the same.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by sixty View Post
    My boat is loaded with about $40k in Simrad electronics.
    May I ask, who sold and installed this $40k in equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by steve c View Post
    Unfortunate for me. I have 2 Simrad Chartplotters, 2 Simrad radios ( 1 with AIS transponder ), BG1 sounder module, WIFI and the mentioned radar system..
    May I ask you also, who sold and installed your equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    this is a good reason to buy from an authorized dealer/installer. they will be there to help you with problems
    Correct..

Customer service is becoming non existent these days, maybe Simrad is worst than others but I try as much as possible to use any resource before picking up the phone

About 2 years ago I had a FLIR installed at the “office”, FLIR having been bought by Raymarine. I didn’t want the video to be displayed on either of the garmins but on a big monitor so the installer ordered and installed an IP converter from Raymarine. Well that converter supplied by Raymarine can only be configured using a PC running Internet Explorer with the Microsoft Silverlight plug in. Both having been discontinued by MS years ago. So yes Raymarine / FLIR is selling unsupported outdated accessories.

Last month, for some reason the converter lost its configuration… but Microsoft in a recent windows update has eliminated the option of using Microsoft explorer…. After a few emails to FLIR support and unhelpful replies I didn’t some research online and found that you can force Internet Explorer to open by setting the IP or domain name in an exception list. Problem solved… no thanks to Ray/FLIR.

As to your issue, check the settings in your SIMRAD system. I ve had issues both with Furuno Navnet 3D and Garmin where suddenly the system loose track of the radar config. Easy fix when you know where to look
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Seller=Defender ( no help), installer=out of business, 8 weeks out for new installer/technician, manufacturer=Simrad ( no help yet but I'll keep trying )
    1987 41' CD832
    Giddy Up
    Niantic, CT

Quote Originally Posted by steve c View Post
    Seller=Defender ( no help), installer=out of business, 8 weeks out for new installer/technician, manufacturer=Simrad ( no help yet but I'll keep trying )
    I am sad to read of your troubles with Simrad.

I work thru dealers and techs that have better phone numbers than I do. When investing big bux on these thingies, it does pay to find a supporting dealer and techs.

My original contacts were with Robertson and Stowe. Support was based in the north left coast. They were fantastic in supporting old products. After the merge, there were some hic-ups but the products are good. Not for sure where the support tech are (around?) now.

I also remember the original Northstar 800 Loran. There was nothing sweeter or faster.

I miss that good ole stuff.

It’s been a couple of months now, but when I did e-mail or call Navico/Simrad direct regarding used and out of warranty equipment, It was pretty good service. When my cell phone droped, they would call me back.

These technologies are changing so quickly, it makes me dizzy (more?) sometimes.
    I wonder how often their help/support changes things around. Maybe just a bad week for you?

Maybe if you could explain your issues, one of the HOF members may have been here before.

If you’re not tight with another dealer yet, Max Marine is a great help also.

Good luck
    Ralph
    Simrad fan