Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Before you buy your next electronic device

Turned on my radar and a " No Radar " message appeared on the chartplotter. Checked and the same message also was indicated on a second device. I reviewed the trouble shooting info in the manual and checked the required solutions to no avail. I called technical support and was #24 in the que for app. 1 hour and 45 minutes and I gave up since my position was still 24th. I emailed my problem on 5/6 and finally recieived a response on 5/21 with the same solution as the original info in the manual which I had referred to when I sent the email. On 5/4 I tried a phone call at 9:22 AM and was in the que for appx. an hour and a half. I was advised so check the same info from the manual and I explained I had performed those checks. I was then transferred to a level 2 tech at noon. I was #3 in the que and at 1:30 I was " next ". At 3:36 I was disconnected. 6 hours and 12 minutes of my time was wasted. The moral of this story is that when you have sorted out the piece of equipment you wish to purchase, call the customer support line before you hand over your money.
    1987 41' CD832
    Giddy Up
    Niantic, CT

Re: Before you buy your next electronic device

Inquiring minds want to know. Who was it? Raymarine?

Simrad
    1987 41' CD832
    Giddy Up
    Niantic, CT

I replaced my Raymarine electronics with Simrad on my old boat and regretted it immensely. They absolutely suck. When I bought the current boat it had Simrad. I promptly replaced it with Furuno and have been very happy with it, and particularly with their customer support. You talk to real professionals without a lot of runaround.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Simrad was my next guess.

I have been very happy with anything I ever purchased from Furuno. And the old stuff that came on boats I have owned.

Simrad is also the company who purchased Northstar and promptly closed them down. Northstar made excellent nav products for marine and surveying and military uses, and they made them in the USA.

Unfortunate for me. I have 2 Simrad Chartplotters, 2 Simrad radios ( 1 with AIS transponder ), BG1 sounder module, WIFI and the mentioned radar system. I'm not in a position to replace the core stuff. I just wished that after 2 hours hey just told me that they were not interested in supporting their equipment, just taking my money. It will be Furuno the next time.
    1987 41' CD832
    Giddy Up
    Niantic, CT

PS: I still use my Northstar GPS plotter fo phantom loran.
    1987 41' CD832
    Giddy Up
    Niantic, CT

Quote Originally Posted by steve c View Post
    Simrad
    My boat is loaded with about $40k in Simrad electronics. I have TONS of trouble from them that never seems to stop. I have a friend that is sponsored by Simrad and had their techs on my boat just scratching their heads. Their only solution was to upgrade to the latest software which was already done or buy their "latest" units which are so much better . My boat electrician used to work for Simrad and said they have adapted really old software that never worked right and did not follow suit of the other vendors using modern, common operating software.

I definitely will not be buying any more Simrad in my future.
    1978 60C "Reel Action" Hull number 4 (304), 1986 36 Sedan "El Dorado" Hull Number 24 (324)

this is a good reason to buy from an authorized dealer/installer. they will be there to help you with problems
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.