Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

SMX II Control Problem

CruiseAire system. The SMX II controller may have failed. Couple days ago I went to turn off the heat and turn on the AC (typical New England May day). The system would not turn off or switch directly from heat to AC. The only button on the display that did anything at all was the Fan Down button which when pressed caused all the other buttons indicator lights to flash. Any experience or suggestions other than the obvious: replace it?
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Re: SMX II Control Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    CruiseAire system. The SMX II controller may have failed. Couple days ago I went to turn off the heat and turn on the AC (typical New England May day). The system would not turn off or switch directly from heat to AC. The only button on the display that did anything at all was the Fan Down button which when pressed caused all the other buttons indicator lights to flash. Any experience or suggestions other than the obvious: replace it?
    You might try unplugging the controller from the connector and reconnecting first to try and see if it reacts positively. My first "go to" when controller/unit is acting up... Usually settles things unless there is a code showing.
    1985 61MY #369 / Redonna Gail / N Myrtle Beach SC

I had this with my Sxm Iv controller. I tapped on the control box in engine room and that did it

I left the breaker off for a couple hours and then reset it. When it came back on it was still in heat, but it let me switch it to cool. AC is working but stuck on at 68 degrees. No more response from any buttons. I think the controller is shot.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    I left the breaker off for a couple hours and then reset it. When it came back on it was still in heat, but it let me switch it to cool. AC is working but stuck on at 68 degrees. No more response from any buttons. I think the controller is shot.
    Did you disconnect at controller and reconnect? Those connections are temperamental and simply turning off breaker will not reset...
    1985 61MY #369 / Redonna Gail / N Myrtle Beach SC

Mine worked like that for several years. Last year the control box fried and I had to put in a retrofit kit from a company in nj

You should carry an extra SMX II control because they're so unreliable. We've been getting them from Flight Systems, the units they manufacture are far better than the originals.
    https://www.flightsystems.com/smxii-...nt-keypad.html
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Just splashed my Bertram and the same thing! Guest room controller worked fine when it went in the barn and now nothing! Flipped the breaker a couple of times no luck. Will pull it and try the unplug and plug back in but I believe that one is an original so fully depreciated!!
    While we are sleeping the boat is breaking! Never ends.....

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    You should carry an extra SMX II control because they're so unreliable. We've been getting them from Flight Systems, the units they manufacture are far better than the originals.
    https://www.flightsystems.com/smxii-...nt-keypad.html

Ordered it last night. Thanks for the lead.