Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Engine removal

Engine removal

How do you remove 6V53 Detroit Diesel engines from a 1990 Hatteras 40DC. Is there a best method since the mechanic company does not want to rebuild in place.

Re: Engine removal

In pieces.

Short block goes out the saloon door with a long reaching fork.
    Out the saloon window may work.
    Both paths require a twist on the short block to get it out.

How bad was the damage requiring an out of boat rebuild?
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 05-23-2023 at 01:45 PM.

Unless there is block damage there is really no reason other than laziness to remove detroit diesels from the boat for an overhaul. I would find a new mechanic before I went to that extra expense.

I thought 53 series was long gone by 1990 and yes unless you overheated and cracked a block there’s no reason to remove.
    Last edited by rsmith; 05-23-2023 at 08:25 AM.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    I thought 53 series was long gone by 1990 and yes unless you overheated and cracked a block there’s no reason to remove.
    Most of the 53's went away by the the 1980's but for some reason the silver-series 6v53ti's carried on up to I am pretty sure 1999 or the early 2000's when new emissions regs killed it. They worked them up to 400+ horsepower. Not sure about the reliability getting that much power out of that small of a displacement, but it must be alright since I've never heard much bad about them. In any event, they were around then for sure.