Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

3 8v vs 2 12v batteries

I putting together a 24v battery bank of Golf Cart Batteries for a trolling motor. Any thoughts regarding the use in series of (3) 8volt batteries vs (2) 12 volt batteries. I have sufficient space for either option.
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Re: 3 8v vs 2 12v batteries

The more individual batteries you use, the less susceptible to failure the bank will be as a whole. Obviously there's a cost/benefit curve here to consider. This is why Hatteras originally used a bunch of little batteries to make 32v banks, and why they last for a decade or more without much trouble vs. a year or two or three in most boats. Just depends on what you want.

Each wet lead acid cell is 2.2 volts. Lithium is different.

Having 2 or 3 cases is not the issue. If it were 6 volt batteries would be best. Its the quality of the cells. Not the number in a case that matters.i

I'd not use 8 volts for this at all as the 12 and 24 and 48 volt battery options are far better technology .

I do many 24 and 48 volt banks and never use 8 volt batteries.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Thanks for the comments

This project involves trying electric power as kicker for my infrequently used 1975 25 foot sailboat kept on a mooring. I've grown tired of replacing gasoline outboards and want to try electric.
    Rather than spend 3000+ for an electric outboard I'm going to see how a trolling motor with a solar charged battery bank will work.. Lithium batteries are probably the best technology, but for this use, I suspect lead acid provides the best cost/benefit.

After comparing 6, 8 and 12 volt batteries it looks like 6 volt is best based upon cost and weight compared to amp hour capacity.

Using Duracell golf cart batteries:
    (4) 6v Cost $440 provide 215 Amp Hr. cost $2.04 / AH and weight 1.13# / AH
    (3) 8v Cost $390 provide 165 Amp Hr. cost $2.36 / AH and weight 1.24# / AH
    (2) 12v Cost $708 provide 228 Amp Hr. cost $3.11 / AH and weight 1.11# / AH
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Quote Originally Posted by Vincentc View Post
    Thanks for the comments

This project involves trying electric power as kicker for my infrequently used 1975 25 foot sailboat kept on a mooring. I've grown tired of replacing gasoline outboards and want to try electric.
    Rather than spend 3000+ for an electric outboard I'm going to see how a trolling motor with a solar charged battery bank will work.. Lithium batteries are probably the best technology, but for this use, I suspect lead acid provides the best cost/benefit.

After comparing 6, 8 and 12 volt batteries it looks like 6 volt is best based upon cost and weight compared to amp hour capacity.

Using Duracell golf cart batteries:
    (4) 6v Cost $440 provide 215 Amp Hr. cost $2.04 / AH and weight 1.13# / AH
    (3) 8v Cost $390 provide 165 Amp Hr. cost $2.36 / AH and weight 1.24# / AH
    (2) 12v Cost $708 provide 228 Amp Hr. cost $3.11 / AH and weight 1.11# / AH
    I don't think the ah math is correct at 24 volts
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

What am I missing?
    It is my understanding that the Amp Hour rating remains the same for batteries connected in series, only the voltage increases.
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi