Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: A/C Condenser Compressor cycles quickly....

Quote Originally Posted by sgharford View Post
    I hear what you are saying above. HVAC companies love to protect their craft and I find usually recommend worst case, most expensive fix (ie replacing unit). Even if it's a charge of 1 lb of the banned no where to be found scary ozone depleting R-22 I know I'm going to get hit with a $1,000 invoice. Sad to admit, but I sold commercial HVAC equipment for six years for a major manufacturer, but I don't know how to work on them. The good condenser is original (47 years old) and never been charged, at least in my 15 years of ownership. There has been little reason for me to invest in tools and know how as result. But I am starting to get the itch...
    You can easily buy 5-gallon jugs of R22 on eBay as long as you're willing to sign the certification saying it's either for resale or for installation by a certified a/c tech. With the understanding that it's unlikely the EPA has a spy satellite hovering over your boat, but some may have a moral objection to this. Once you do that, get a set of manifold gauges and adapters and recharging the system is very easy. There are tons of videos on youtube, or you can get the original cruisair factory manuals off the documents sections of the sea-ray forum that have detailed charging instructions. Or just buy the compressor and have a tech install it. They have to braze it in with a torch, one of those things they do all the time but was over my head and I'd probably burn myself or drop molten whatever into the compressor and ruin it, so I left that part to them when I did this on my old boat.

There's a similar discussion on here in another thread - If the compressor is coming on, it's probably not the start-run capacitor. My experience with those is that you can hear the motor trying to start but not getting past the hum. If it's low refrigerant, and you suspect a leak, I wouldn't just keep recharging it - That will eventually lead to contamination in the system and a seized compressor. If it's a single-piece unit and accessible, buy a jug of leak-check bubble solution at CC Dixon, or Grainger. Don't be steered in to leak dye - That WILL turn acidic and the acid will eat the compressor seals. It's just a service provider trying to make repeat business. If a vendor wants to leak-check the system, ask them if they use dry nitrogen. That's the only truly effective to pressurize it, then spray the bubble solution at any joints/elbows/valves. In my former life as a service manager in truck/trailer refrigeration and A/C, we had a love/hate relationship with customers who would go to the autoparts store and buy the DIY charging kits with leak dye - Usually we loved that they were trying to resolve it themselves, but hated handing them the bill.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

So this did turn out to be a low refrigerant charge. Took 12 ounces R22 at $10.75/ounce. That plus service and sales tax led to a $732 invoice. Potential problem still there as no mention of finding or repairing a leak in the system. Hopefully it holds. Next time I think I will take the plunge to pick up a manifold and small tank R22. Question - When charging R22, does the refrigerant in the tank you purchase to recharge typically have the compressor oil already in it or do you have to add separately?
    Scott
    1976 43DCFB ,Hull #428, “Exodus”
    Long Island, NY

Typically, the oil does not leak out with the refrigerant, so you can top off the charge without having to worry about adding oil.

Pretty simple to charge yourself once you have a gauge set, R22 and the rotary valve tool (or equivalent) to open the charging port. Don't forget, you turn it clockwise to open and counter-clockwise to seal it back.

J