Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Racor plug failure

Last couple of trips I noticed my 18kw Norpro surging a little on medium load. I replaced both the racor and secondary and it seemed a little better on the last run. Yesterday when I fired it up it started surging even without load and would stumble badly when a chiller started.

Opened the racor 500 which was 3/4 empty. Thinking the electric fuel pump was getting weak I decided to rig a walbro between the tank and the racor, in the port ER. Flip it on and found fuel leaking from the bottom of the racor. Turned out the small plastic plug, which I believe is used where a water sensor would go, was partially cracked and leaking. Under suction it would suck air causing the power loss. When I removed the plug it cracked all the way.

Since I have no intention on putting a water sensor and since I didn’t have anything that would fit the threads, I just epoxied it back in place.

gen has now been running fine with both chillers for the last 3 hours.
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: Racor plug failure

That is an excellent cautionary tale, thank you for sharing it. While I don't have a boat any longer, I remember looking at the generator racor on Pau Hana, compared to the MDE racors and thinking it looked flimsy in comparison. I had actually planned to replace it along with the raw water strainer, which I was not pleased with but was probably original to the boat.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Same plug leaked (really weeped) for me last rebuild on the mains.wasn’t enough to impact operation but noticed the diaper I keep under the racor was collecting some fuel. I used racor parts so…might be worth keeping an eye out on these. Good idea with the epoxy.
    Last edited by firbanks; 05-21-2023 at 04:39 PM.

I don’t remember for sure if I replaced that racor after I got the boat years ago but I know I never touched that plug. It wasn’t leaking even with the gen off. If I hadn’t hooked up a priming pump right at the fuel tank, I would have probably spend hours trying to figure it out.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I had to replace the whole lower unit (plastic on mine) as the threads were cracked. Replacements plugs should be available online.
    Dragonten
    1981 53' MY Hull #603
    Woodstock, Illinois

As long as you have it out, you ought to add a ball valve instead of just a brass plug. Makes maintenance a little easier.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Epoxy is not a permanent fix for the fuel filter. Get a new bowl and plug. Do it right and it will last. Nothing lasts forever and quick fixes don't last long at all
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    As long as you have it out, you ought to add a ball valve instead of just a brass plug. Makes maintenance a little easier.
    I don’t think I ve ever had to drain water out of it. I put it back on as soon as the epoxy had cured anyway as I didn’t want to blow the trip
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Onboard we keep a complete bowl setup for both racor sizes and also some rebuild kits for each. Very handy for some friends that don't have any spares onboard when they get in a jam..
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Onboard we keep a complete bowl setup for both racor sizes and also some rebuild kits for each. Very handy for some friends that don't have any spares onboard when they get in a jam..
    All my spare stuff I take to the Bahamas I end up fixing other peoples boats with.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present