Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shower drains

Shower drains

I am replacing all of my bilge hoses and stuff, and I am unsure about how the shower drains are usually done?

This reminds me to stick a camera under there for a visual, but, it doesn't feel like there is a nut of any kind on the bottom, are they just 5200'd to the shower?

I am somewhat inclined to just leave them alone, but in cleaning out one of the shower sump boxes this weekend I noticed the hose is starting to crack, so, they are due.

1972 43DC.

Just wondering if anyone has any prior experience do or don'ts, etc...

Thanks!
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Re: Shower drains

It’s a big job, if it’s not leaking outside the box, leave it alone until it does.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

The shower drains on Pau Hana were screwed in grates from inside the shower stall, with pieces of semi-rigid hose leading to the open-top sumps. The grate piece had a stub underneath, and used a PVC compression sleeve fitting to mate to the hose piece.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

I reached under there and took a pic, from what I can see, the hose is hose clamped to the bottom of the drain, and the drain is just caulked to the shower.

Meaning, no bolts up top or large nut holding it below.

On the 43DC, there is only about 3' maybe of hose, the shower drains are very close to the hatches, but nevertheless there is no access to that hose clamp.
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

I just replaced mine. Remove hose from bottom, removed screwdown and caulked old unit. Cleaned up. Used new spanner nut on bottom pro flow unit from Sam's with rolled up/rope like piece of plumbers putty. Don't over tighten. Remove excess putty on top. I installed a flex elbow on the bottom with all new hose.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

After Picture
    Attached Images
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's