Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Electrical Selector Knobs

I have a 48 Long Range Cruiser. Two of the selector switches on the panel were missing knobs to turn the selector switch. I got replacement knobs from another LRC that sank in Ft. Meyers. Replacement knobs won't fit. The new knobs won't reach the selector shaft. What is the trick to these knobs?2793893_46cbe63c_8.jpg
    Kevin Heffelman
    COYABA
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC
    Ashland City, TN

Re: Electrical Selector Knobs

There is an insert adapting the knob to the shaft. This insert keeps the knob point in sync with the shaft position. Also tightens the knob down to the shaft with a lil screw in the middle of the knob.

This insert is also switch mfg dependent. Hatt usually used Kraus Naimer switches but there may be different shaft models or specs thru the years.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 05-14-2023 at 06:01 PM.

The shafts are adjustable in length. I called the switch manufacturer and asked because my shafts were too short also.

I wish I could tell you what the process is to adjust them, but I can't remember how I did it. I do recall it was very simple to do and involved pulling a clip out or something simple like that.

Good luck

PS The switch manufacuter was Kraus Naimer and they sent me the inserts for the knobs.

When I took them off the donor boat it seemed so simple. Actually one of the shafts came out of the switch when I removed the knob. I have a couple of good inserts. I'll try to call the manufacturer and try to get some input. Thank you for the info.
    Kevin Heffelman
    COYABA
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC
    Ashland City, TN

Pull the shaft out of your existing switch and attach that to the new knob and then re-insert. The shaft can get pushed in too far.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Sky, I contacted Kraus-Naimer and they said there is supposed to be a compression ring that I need to remove before I slide the shaft out. I'm not at the boat so I have not had a chance to look at it. Is it as simple as taking a pair of needle nose pliers and pulling the shaft out? When I got the replacement handles from the donor boat, I loosened the screw in the knob and wiggled the knob and the shaft and knob slid out. I thought I damaged the donor boat switch but I did not care since all I needed was the knob. I was reluctant to pull on the shaft of the switch in my boat for fear of damaging it. If you don't think it will hurt anything I'll pull it out. I'm probably over-thinking it.....image001.jpg
    Kevin Heffelman
    COYABA
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC
    Ashland City, TN

I have pulled the shaft out of mine before. I did not see a retaining ring.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

there is definitely a ring on mine....

If all else fails in your search consider having them 3D printed. My son has an inexpensive 3D printer and i have had him make a number of parts for me that were impossible to source or extremely expensive. They have all worked fine.

Mark
    Lake of the Woods
    1989 40 DC, Hull #377

At some time in the past, you had knobs.
    Pretty sure like what you are trying to install back on now.

Have you tried to just pull your shafts into position?

Your shafts may be loos as the doner switch was when you procured your new knobs.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 05-25-2023 at 09:09 AM.