Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Low fuel pressure

Not saying your guy is wrong, but while revamping my fuel system I've been doing some research, and there are a lot of factors like friction vs hose length and 90° elbows that add a surprising amount of restrictions. As stated previously I would bypass the Racors and use a vacuum gauge or the engine's sensors to verify, but you may need to upsize the fuel system or change the style of fittings to overcome the length of the runs and inherent restrictions in the configuration.

My previous system configuration, even though significantly oversized (on paper) for the engine's specs, still resulted in high vacuum even with spotless filters. It didn't take much contamination to quickly result a significant performance drop.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Not saying your guy is wrong, but while revamping my fuel system I've been doing some research, and there are a lot of factors like friction vs hose length and 90° elbows that add a surprising amount of restrictions. As stated previously I would bypass the Racors and use a vacuum gauge or the engine's sensors to verify, but you may need to upsize the fuel system or change the style of fittings to overcome the length of the runs and inherent restrictions in the configuration.

My previous system configuration, even though significantly oversized (on paper) for the engine's specs, still resulted in high vacuum even with spotless filters. It didn't take much contamination to quickly result a significant performance drop.
    All valid points. We'll see what the gauges show as we play around with it. I may indeed need to upsize if I want to keep the Racors, which I do.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

This should be interesting to see the relative resistance of the different elements in the sytem!
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Update: So the warning message wasn't really "low fuel pressure, pre-filter" as it says but high vacuum readings. I really couldn't test this until I got the right transmissions installed. Now she handles and runs as she should without being grossly overpropped. So, I plumbed the Racors and the Cat filters back in together and test ran with one 30 micron in one Racor and no filter in the other.

I started out with readings on the Cat screen of 3 inches of vacuum on the stbd and 0 on the port. Once underway, the port jumped to 13 and stayed there while the stbd ran 3-4 the whole time and once read 5 and this was on either the 30 micron or the Racor with no filter; same reading.

So now I assume that the port engine has a bad sensor. To confirm, I just had a 15ft fuel hose made up to connect the port engine to the stbd supply after all of the filters on that side. Once I can prove the issue is not with my part of the fuel system, then I can call out Cat Service.

Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 05-23-2023 at 12:42 PM.
    Sky Cheney

Was 21 knots top end or cruise? Either way, crazy fast for a 53.

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    Was 21 knots top end or cruise? Either way, crazy fast for a 53.
    Top end but I'm still a little under propped and I need more tabs. Its fine for this season but next winter I'll be tweeking those props and adding new trim tabs.
    Sky Cheney

What was your load percentage at WOT? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    What was your load percentage at WOT? Just curious.
    Ha!! I forgot to look. Too many things to check out. At 2200rpm, I was at 19kts and 70% load. She topped out a little over 2400 and I was told that max loaded should be 2320-2350. So, I can obviously use a little more prop.
    Sky Cheney

Don't expect any of us to catch you in a game of chase LOL! That's cookin along pretty fast!
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

That boat is really a Cheney 53 custom. I bet it sells for 7 figures one day after we are all gone. Nicely done.
    Is the waterline higher too, with less weight?
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750