Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Diesel in Stuart

If I make it to Roland Martin and have to turn back we’ll be fine. Just make new plans, maybe a few nights on the hook.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Madhatter, I will be hopefully going through the RR bridge at the first scheduled opening after the closure
    On Monday 5/22 at 6:00 Am. Don’t know if it times out for you but if you want PM me and I will send you
    My cell and you can call me and I will tell you if it opened or what have you. I have a slip at Sunset Bay for
    Sunday the 21st and will be right there at 6AM.

Wow, I hope it opens for you. We are on a fun cruise and can change course at any time. Don't go through until Wednesday the 24th so just post here if it opened or not so everyone knows.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

4. Re: Diesel in Stuart

If you’ve never been through this area before, I can highly recommend the town of Okeechobee. The south side of the lake is flat farmland all owned by a couple of billionaires families who live in either Palm Beach, Dominican Republic, or Michigan. Their ex agricultural implements are pretty much the only people left. On the other hand, the north side of the lake is on higher ground and is populated by Ranchers, retired folks, both on pensions, and billionaires who have private landing strips, and some really cool Hunting Lodges (OK Corral being one) with five star chefs. There’s lots of big oak trees. It’s well worth the visit, especially the Grassy Island bike and horse trails, right north of town out 50th street. Horseback riding and rodeo is a big deal there.
    There’s a marina right at the entrance to the Kissimmini River. There’s way more to the town that what you can see by just driving through enroute somewhere else. Google up “Laura Upthegrove” to understand why there’s a town on the north side of the lake named Upthegrove Beach.

We've stopped at Roland Martin a few times. It is a convenient stop over if you travel slowly like we did. Normally at 8 knots or so it took two days to get to Stuart from Ft. Myers. I will say that when a restaurant has condiment baskets on the table that include bug spray, you know it will be a challenging sit down (and it was).
    Try to dock farther down from the restaurant as they have music and it gets noisey. Of course all of this is from 7 years ago and "your mileage may vary".
    Sunset Bay marina was a very good stop. Convenient to town, decent fuel prices, and loaner bicycles. The food at Sailor's Return was always good.
    Regards
    Dan

My experience cruising the Eastern Fl coast is there’s fuel delivery companies up/down and prices are significantly lower than marinas
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears