Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Check those clamps

Just a reminder to everyone to check the condition of the clamps on your engine hoses and other hoses. Last weekend we went out for red snapper and had a great overnight trip. On the way in I noticed by starboard bilge pump light intermittently coming on. The weather had been rough the night before and the guys were spraying water everywhere so I thought maybe water was trapped somewhere and coming out once underway.

Decided to run her up for a few miles and noticed the boat felt sluggish and the bilge pump light was on constantly. I told my buddy to watch the wheel while I figured out why the bilge pump was running non-stop. He said "as long as that high water alarm doesn't come on I am OK" about 30 seconds before it came on. Opened the ER hatch to see jugs of water and oil floating between the stringers in the center. A quick scan determined the water was coming from a broken clamp on one of the raw water lines, spraying on the ceiling and cascading down into the center and starboard bilge compartments

Shut the engine down and the bilge pump quickly dried out the starboard bilge but for some reason Hatteras did not put a pump in the center area. Got out my 2" electric pump and sucked the 6" or so of water out very quickly. Put a spare clamp on and all was well. Washed everything down at home and cleaned up the mess. Spent all day today replacing every clamp on that engines water supply and had the marina order enough clamps to finish the other engine next week

The engines were rebuilt in 2018 and some areas were double clamped but others not. I plan on double clamping everything that can be as this would have helped me here. The clamping plan was odd as some (the one that broke) had single clamps of the slotted band type. Other areas had double T bolt clamps for the same supply lines. I will eventually get it all worked out but wanted to remind everyone to check their clamps and make sure they are tight, not rusted, etc

Also I learned that you can remove paint overspray from the silicone hoses by spraying with WD 40 and rubbing with a bronze brush. Mine did not come out new but I got the blue and green colors back.

For the good side here is a picture of our catch

355877722_10227381186169067_2403568387610108558_n.jpg

Re: Check those clamps

During my AC follies and moving things around several clamps gave up the ghost. Heed Brian’s warnings.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    During my AC follies and moving things around several clamps gave up the ghost. Heed Brian’s warnings.
    Shaft seal clamps. Dripless of course.

Just a friendly reminder but do not use Awab clamps on standard hose or regular clamps on silicone hose. When you double clamp the preferred method is to have the clamps in opposite directions and the screws 180* apart. I have a habit of over tightening things but after a few runs of heating and cooling I always find the clamps need a couple extra turns
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Just a friendly reminder but do not use Awab clamps on standard hose or regular clamps on silicone hose. When you double clamp the preferred method is to have the clamps in opposite directions and the screws 180* apart. I have a habit of over tightening things but after a few runs of heating and cooling I always find the clamps need a couple extra turns
    Awab closed after its founder passed 3 or so years ago. Although most knew them for the s.ooth back clamps they had other products too. Their best products were European made but they did have crap Chinese products too.

Using the right clamp is important. Checking them is important. Replacing any with the slightest sign of corrosion is important.

Thinking they last forever is ridiculous.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I relocated a Siren marine system to the Hatt, and have it wired to send me a text when any of the 4 bilge pump lights get voltage. It's peace of mind, if you are away from the boat. I don't know that I would have bought the system new, and its far better to be closer to your boat always and just check on it. Only $180/year for the text service. Yamaha bought them recently, so the the platform will likely survive. Happy with it, and reasonably easy to configure the sensors.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Installed Wyze wireless leak sensors in all bilge areas as well as in all AC evaporator cabinets. They not only notify me via the app but are monitored via the Wyze home monitoring system. When activated they signal the sirens on all 7 of the Wyze security cams and I get a text and call from monitoring before I can even silence the alarm… $99 year for monitoring…. Doesn’t mean I don’t need to check and replace clamps but does give me a sense of peace…
    Last edited by skinners1; 07-02-2023 at 11:39 AM.
    1985 61MY #369 / Redonna Gail / N Myrtle Beach SC