Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Towing Tender/Docking

Now that I have the proper tow bridle for our tender I’m wondering what’s the best procedure for docking when towing the tender. We dock side to on the port side. Also, when coming in from Green Bay we have to go under two bridges (Michigan and the Oregon for you Google people) but they are 30 minutes apart so we end up standing on station between the two bridges and at times it can get tight with other boats. I’m wondering if it’s best to pull the tender up and hip tow it or pull it up tight perpendicular to the swim platform. We have a 14 aluminum foot rib and have never towed one. Obviously, we have a crane that we can lift it up to the flybridge but if we’re going out to the sandbar or local cove, we’d rather not go through the process of bringing it up and down.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Re: Towing Tender/Docking

For the bridge situation we just pull it in until it touches the platform. Also when setting and pulling the anchor.
    An option for docking is, if you have friendly neighbors you can toss them the painter line to hold it for you until after you dock.

Put it on the hip for docking and bring it on very short leash when waiting for bridges. I don’t like towing a tender… it takes 2 minutes to bring up on top and out of the way. With the right line setup it s a one person operation
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I just pull mine tight against the stern with just the tow line. Its never been a problem in tight places or docking.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I wasn’t sure which would be easier to secure, hip or stern. I was also concerned with the hull of the RIB riding up the swim platform while in reverse and making contact with the platform. I plan to try both just curious what others prefer. Hope to be in the water this Monday and maybe try it out.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310

i tow my rib about 50 ft back when in open water, pull it to about 15 ft when in close quarters and tie it on the hip when docking on a side tie situation, i have tied it very tight all the way up on the bow when backing in a slip
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

I’m enjoying this thread. I’m starting to dingy shop.
    1979 43 DC #510

I may have started a thread about the tow bridle or someone else did and I contributed/learned from it. I ended up having Miami Cordage make one using Dyneema and double braided line. Looking forward to using it. We have a number of marinas and coves within a short run. Hoping up and down the peninsula with a tow instead of the up and down and securing the tender in the chocks saves a some time.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310

Shorten the bridle when in tight area then tie to bow before backing into a slip.

Well I ended up purchasing a tow bridle from Miami Cordage and used it for the first time today. It worked very well. Hip towed the tender off the dock and through the two bridges we must pass then let TT out and viola it worked perfectly. We anchored so I pulled the tender up to the swim platform while we set the anchor. I know I could have made the bridal myself, but it was money well spent. The tender road perfectly past the second wave and with the motor tilted up it tracked perfectly. Thank you again for the advice and suggestions
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310