Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Florida insurance cost breakdown?

My 1975 53 MY came back today at $5500 with out storm coverage. It was $2100 2 years ago with storm coverage.
    Last haul out was done 3 years ago and given an 180k hull value and note as above average condition and well maintained.

This is getting insane at the moment. This year we will be traveling the East Coast and out of Florida for the summer and still they wont write storm coverage.

Any suggestions on for us many 53MY owners out there?
    Shaun
    Tampa FL
    Hatters 53MY 1975 HULL # 454

1st mate to www.theboatbabe.com
    Blog: www.weliveonthesa.com

Post Hurricane Ian, Florida boat insurance in general is just insane. One of our cruising couple friends were told when they renewed on Oct 1 2022, that they would not be renewed in 2023 unless they changed their home port to north of Savanna GA, or off the Gulf Coast - We're in Fort Myers. Yes I get it, Ian was devastating, but it was a 500-year storm. We lost Pau Hana completely, and it took me contacting the governor's office to get paid out. 2 different boat owners from the marina were told they would not be insured for their new-to-them boats unless they kept them in their permanent home towns, Minneapolis for one, and St Louis for the other.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Last year my carrier quit writing in Florida and I had to find a new one. First offer was $14k up from around $6500. Eventually received an offer for $6800 that required a haulout survey which I did.

This weekend I was renewed for $200 less than last years premium with no additional changes or survey required.

Markel in Annapolis handles this for me and I am pleased.

Bruce

Freestyle
    1985 62 CPMY (54MY with ext)
    Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Mine is through Ryan Lampanosa in Crystal River, FL 352-795-4747. Laynee Nadal is my rep. The biggest issue I had is they didn't ask for a survey but after they got the premium their underwriters told the agent I had 10 working days to get one.I also use the company below alot. They told me upfront I would need a current survey (less than 5 yr old) to get a policy. The only reason I didn't go with them was State Farm already had the boat insured by prior owner and didn't ask for one with the quote. Lesson learnedhttp://marineins.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaunc View Post
    My 1975 53 MY came back today at $5500 with out storm coverage. It was $2100 2 years ago with storm coverage.Last haul out was done 3 years ago and given an 180k hull value and note as above average condition and well maintained.This is getting insane at the moment. This year we will be traveling the East Coast and out of Florida for the summer and still they wont write storm coverage.Any suggestions on for us many 53MY owners out there?
    Shaunc depending on how far north along the east coast you are going I would have several options to go with storm coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by captcrunch View Post
    Shaunc depending on how far north along the east coast you are going I would have several options to go with storm coverage.
    We are hoping to make it to meet up with our family in Maine. Lets see how far we go? lol

For us its about the journey and if we have to dock at a marina and drive to meet them. then we will do that.
    Shaun
    Tampa FL

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle View Post
    Last year my carrier quit writing in Florida and I had to find a new one. First offer was $14k up from around $6500. Eventually received an offer for $6800 that required a haulout survey which I did.

This weekend I was renewed for $200 less than last years premium with no additional changes or survey required.

Markel in Annapolis handles this for me and I am pleased.

Bruce

Freestyle
    1985 62 CPMY (54MY with ext)
    Tampa
    I tried Markel as they are based in Clearwater Florida and they were around 8k.
    Shaun
    Tampa FL

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Mine is through Ryan Lampanosa in Crystal River, FL 352-795-4747. Laynee Nadal is my rep. The biggest issue I had is they didn't ask for a survey but after they got the premium their underwriters told the agent I had 10 working days to get one.

I also use the company below alot. They told me upfront I would need a current survey (less than 5 yr old) to get a policy. The only reason I didn't go with them was State Farm already had the boat insured by prior owner and didn't ask for one with the quote. Lesson learned

http://marineins.com/

I contacted both, thanks. MarineIns said they only have one company and that is the one i am with they can write me with. State farm said they will send me a quote over tomorrow.
    Shaun
    Tampa FL

Ours comes up for renewal in August. Smack in the middle of storm season right when things are heating up. We shall see.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Insurance has gone through the f*cking roof after the last couple hurricanes came through. Mine is $7k a year for full coverage, and for the renewal they want almost $10k for 2023-24. I am debating going to liability only. I am pretty OCD about making sure my boat survives the storms (I know it's dumb but I've ridden two hurricanes out onboard, one of which I would absolutely have had damage if I hadn't been there) and it's burning me up that in 10 years of premiums I could almost pay for the whole damn boat. Some of these guys with $1mm boats at marina are *really* complaining, my $200k boat is small potatoes compared to what they're paying. There is no good solution anymore, everybody is crazy expensive now.

I have no idea if BoatUS is writing coverage in that area. I renewed with them this year up here in Annapolis and the premium didn't change, but they did ask for a survey (it had been a while) Might be worth a call to see if they are still writing insurance in FL.