Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Onan model mdkd generator

Was. told can not be repaired, Im looking for a new or used one in working condtion.cant seem to part number 179-2582-s0 cant find one on line.Its called a exhaust manifold
    Last edited by pib1844; 04-14-2023 at 04:54 PM.

Re: Onan model mdkd generator

Take a look at onanparts.com. Might be able to help.

Walt Hoover

Onan says its no longer available,Thought somone out there might know of a salvage yard .I have tried ebay just about everywhere for the past 3 days

https://www.lawnmowerpros.com/detail.asp?id=179-2582-S0

https://www.torquepower.com.au/produ...ifold-exhaust/

https://www.peri-parts.com/0179-2582...ooled-aef.html

You have to really luv that dinosaur to be shopping for a manifold.

One other thought, a block welding shop may be able to fix it.

Pending the failure, I have had good results with epoxy patches.

Time for a new generator
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I just looked at the parts breakdown and I don't see that number listed anywhere. Double check maybe.

Walt Hoover

Yachts ands Diesels FLL, 954-584-0042, might have it

Onan stopped supporting the pre-cummins merger gensets, and parts are no longer available. I went through this on my last boat, and the bottom line is you just need to replace the generator. I would scour the internet and would eventually find whatever the part was from some obscure fishery supply place in Alaska, some guy on craigslist who was removing an MD model, or something equally one-off, but then a few weeks later the next thing on it would break and it would start all over again.

Out of any given 12 months, that generator may have been working properly for half that. It was really making me hate the boat, because you couldn't run the a/c's, cook anything, etc. Wasn't worth it. I replaced it with a 12kw Phasor and never looked back. I put like 600 hours on that thing with nothing but an oil change and never had the first problem. Onan makes a crap product anyway compared to Northern Lights, Phasor, or any of the current options, in my humble opinion. The former owner of my hatteras went through the same thing with the one in this boat, and replaced it with a Northern Lights. So far I've had to do an exhaust elbow, a water pump, and an oil change in like 300+ hours. It's no comparison to an Oh-No!

It seems like the only Onan sales are to OEM manufacturers- all of the secondary market is NL, Kohler, Phasor, Westerbeke. Bollard Marine are supposed to be good, too, but I think they are mainly sold out West.