Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

1985 Hatteras 36C Series II Hull Penetration

There is a hull penetration detail in my manual for the 1985 36C Series II Convertible. Is this for the side of the hull or is the bottom cored as well? I have read in a few posts here and on other sites that anything below the water line was a solid FRP layup and only cored on the sides. I'm considering installing Hull Shield in my boat and there cannot be any wood coring. If anyone knows I would appreciate the heads up. Thank you
    Attached Images

Re: 1985 Hatteras 36C Series II Hull Penetration

I don't think any 36 foot boats were built by Hatteras with cored bottoms. I believe the only Hatteras yachts built with cored bottoms were 41 convertibles- not the early ones, but the much later boats. Sam's could confirm this, I think.

Thanks Jim I know you are very knowledgeable and respect your input. I will call Sam's.

Tom,
    Did you install the hull shield?
    Looks interesting, but I can't find much in the way of reports of its effectiveness beyond what's published by the manufacturer. Thanks
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

I had an 87 36' Sedan. At least on that boat the hull was cored down to waterline. The bottom was solid glass. If you look in the engine room you may notice a stepdown in the interior hull.
    Last edited by DavidSmith; 03-03-2024 at 05:32 PM.