Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Exhaust tube flappers or grills

I have had a problem with muskrats thinking that the exhaust tubes are a perfect place to make a home in our 1980 43' DCFB exhaust tubes . After I discover them and their living arrangements I have been stuffing a fenders inside the tubes to act as stoppers which is a chore to do every time we run the boat. She isn't a dockqueen and gets run a few times a week during the summertime when she is in the water. Does anyone else have an issue like this? What's your solution?

Before I set about trying to make a permanently installed flapper for the exhaust tubes. I was wondering if anyone knows where to source them. Either a flapper or a set of grills.

I live in fear that they will decide to chew their way into the boat and cause extensive damage or sink it. They go in quickly after i shut down sometimes and once this past fall I invertanly trapped one on the wrong side of the fender and was lucky to hear it gnawing on the fender which I pulled out to see a 3 inch hole chewed in it.

I have shot a few of them that I have seen swimming around the area I slip at.
    Admiral-- Marilyn
    Captain--James
    1980 43 DC Hull#526
    Twin DD 671 TI

Re: Exhaust tube flappers or grills

I made my own "screens" out of a 2" chuck of 4" stainless pipe and some stainless bolts arranged around that pipe in a star pattern and tightened into the exhaust for a friction fit. The cost was minimal and
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I made my own "screens" out of a 2" chuck of 4" stainless pipe and some stainless bolts arranged around that pipe in a star pattern and tightened into the exhaust for a friction fit. The cost was minimal and
    I think I am going that route

Thanks for the reply
    Last edited by Jims43DC; 03-21-2023 at 08:49 PM.
    Admiral-- Marilyn
    Captain--James
    1980 43 DC Hull#526
    Twin DD 671 TI

Thanks for the reply
    Admiral-- Marilyn
    Captain--James
    1980 43 DC Hull#526
    Twin DD 671 TI

I find the Hurley pieces a bit pricey, though they are pretty reasonable compared to insurance deductible. On my last boat I bought heavy SS mesh on eBay and cut it into rounds a bit oversized and jammed them into the exhaust outlets.

On my latest boat I'm going a different route, I ordered 2 of these:

https://drainageproducts.us/6-stainl...animal-guards/

I plan on test fitting them in a couple of weeks and will let you know how well they work.
    Warren
    1973 Chris-Craft 47 Commander
    1994 Sea Ray Laguna 16SC
    (wannabe Hatteras owner)

The ones I made look almost exactly like the Hurley style at a fraction of the price. Use the photo of the Hurley guards as your guide.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

The thread was "Strange debris in exhaust pipes"
    Joshua1985 60C #379SCYLLAGalveston, Tx

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    The ones I made look almost exactly like the Hurley style at a fraction of the price. Use the photo of the Hurley guards as your guide.
    That is the plan I am going with , those from Hurley are for sure a tad overpriced for what they are.
    Admiral-- Marilyn
    Captain--James
    1980 43 DC Hull#526
    Twin DD 671 TI