Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Wanted 58' LRC along the east coast

I agree with Rsmith and Sky. The LRCs have a lot of capability for bluewater voyaging, but a standard MY might well be a better choice if you don't need the bluewater voyaging stuff. For example, if you were going up and down the ICW you would not need an LRC- you'd be fine with a MY.

Thanks for your input. I agree with only 44 being made it’s hard finding one in and in great shape at a reasonable price. We may have to settle for a MY.

I am curious as to what it is that attracted you to the 58LRC?

As others have suggested, depending on your reasoning for having one, you might be fine with a MY instead.

I ask, because I own one and we love just about everything about this model (except maybe the ladder to the flybridge, but not really an issue). For me engine room access was a HUGE selling point as well as range.

The LRC's are wonderful and unique in may ways. You will pay more for them than you would for a similar size/condition MY, but hopefully that will also pay off when you sell it (someday...)

We bought a "semi' project boat because I wanted to outfit her with my choice of electronics and other systems. Also, this allowed me to get in at a lower price and do the upgrades and repairs over time. For me, I needed to know I had selected a boat with good bones, ie engines, stabilizers and other $$$$$ items were all in good shape.

If you want to talk about LRC's feel free to PM me and I'll send you my tel # so I can share what I have learned in the few years I have owned one.

Just saw your post. We have reluctantly decided to privately sell our Turtle IV. She is 58LRC Hull #1, White with blue stripe. She was beautifully re-decorated by the second owners, and has the upgraded African Sapele interior, all near perfect. These are truly special boats, and have tremendous advantages over the much more common MY. We burn only 4gph including generator at 8+ knots cruise, probably half the fuel burn of a similar size MY. We are the third owners, and she has always been maintained in top condition and is now ready to cruise. We are located on beautiful Lake Guntersville in North Alabama. If you are interested in learning more, please message me. Thank you.

Here are some videos of Turtle IV before we bought her. She still shows this nicely.
    Exterior here: https://youtu.be/zgjJvrFDZpE

and the interior:https://youtu.be/_7vuB-CVN3M

Quote Originally Posted by TurtleIV View Post
    Here are some videos of Turtle IV before we bought her. She still shows this nicely.
    Exterior here: https://youtu.be/zgjJvrFDZpE

and the interior:https://youtu.be/_7vuB-CVN3M
    My Daughter and SIL have a marine service company. They worked on Turtle when it was in FtPierce Florida I’ve seen it also it is an exceptional boat. Or at least it was 7 years ago.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    My Daughter and SIL have a marine service company. They worked on Turtle when it was in FtPierce Florida I’ve seen it also it is an exceptional boat. Or at least it was 7 years ago.
    Thank you for the post. We did a good re-fit in Ft Lauderdale when we bought her, fixing many small issues and catching up on repairs, which lead to a near-perfect cruise home. Since then we have maintained her to a high standard, and she looks just as good as when we bought her in 2018. She now has a proper 11' whaler for a dingy. The modern-style inflatable she came with didn't look right with this classic yacht. She is kept in a covered slip at the Lake Guntersvile Yacht club, and fresh water is easier on boats. We take her out frequently with friends and she has made several trips up river to Chattanooga. She is always kept clean and ready for a cruise.

Are you planning on doing a lot of long-distance ocean crossings? I don't mean running over to the Bahamas or things like that, I mean true long-distance cruising? Because if not, you'll be better served in almost every circumstance by a motor yacht or yachtfish over the LRC. The LRC's have some drawbacks. First, they are enormous. I can't overstate how much bigger they are in person than their 58' length seems on paper. They draw 6' of water which makes the intracoastal tricky in some spots. They're very heavy, you're not easily tugging one of those around with a rope while docking. They're slow, but unlike the MY where you can still choose to run slow if you want efficiency, you can't speed up when you want to.

For most people I don't think there's anything to be gained with the LRC. They have much larger fuel capacity, but most recreational boaters aren't crossing any oceans, so other than bragging rights about capabilities you'll never use, they've always struck me as one of those things where the drawbacks outweigh the benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    For most people I don't think there's anything to be gained with the LRC. They have much larger fuel capacity, but most recreational boaters aren't crossing any oceans, so other than bragging rights about capabilities you'll never use, they've always struck me as one of those things where the drawbacks outweigh the benefits.
    I agree. The newest 58 LRC on the planet is now 42 years old. It's tough to imagine shoving off on a trans-Atlantic trip on that age boat - even if it's a Hatteras.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by TurtleIV View Post
    Just saw your post. We have reluctantly decided to privately sell our Turtle IV. She is 58LRC Hull #1, White with blue stripe. She was beautifully re-decorated by the second owners, and has the upgraded African Sapele interior, all near perfect. These are truly special boats, and have tremendous advantages over the much more common MY. We burn only 4gph including generator at 8+ knots cruise, probably half the fuel burn of a similar size MY. We are the third owners, and she has always been maintained in top condition and is now ready to cruise. We are located on beautiful Lake Guntersville in North Alabama. If you are interested in learning more, please message me. Thank you.
    True, but the LRC's won't run 20 knots or float in 4' of water either. Like anything in life, it's a trade-off. The MY's are more common because more people ordered them. That's because of exactly what we're discussing, they're better suited to most recreational boaters' cruising habits. Your average weekend warrior doesn't need 2,600 gallons worth of fuel capacity and would probably find the 6' draft and 8 knot speed to be drawbacks. I don't think there's a right answer here, they're great boats. Just saying there are trade-offs.