Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Fire suppression tank

Has anyone removed the discharge head? My hot water heater element is toast and will NOT break loose, I’ve tried EVERYTHING to no avail. In order to replace the heater the suppression tank needs to move to get the old out, new in. 3 companies I’ve called are 3 weeks out, admiral says, well you can imagine.
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Re: Fire suppression tank

I had the same problem some years ago. Doug Shuman, "Nonchalant1" posted a technique on 3/17/2005. You can look this up. Basically you unscrew the brass nuts on top of the red tank. Mine has two, one for the arming trigger, the other on top for the CO2 delivery. There is no pressure here unless the trigger fires which should not happen. Then unscrew the metal bracket and bend the tank forward. Do not try to lift the tank, it's really heavy. Hopefully you can just tilt it out of the way. I got mine apart but it felt like defusing a bomb. I would have had a professional service and certify the system since my insurance requires this periodically and they know what they are doing. I was in the middle of nowhere so on my own. Good luck!

OK, found it. Looks like our search function for submissions only goes back 10 years. Have to trick it!
    Go to "Search Forums," top right of screen. Enter "Fire Extinguisher," get six pages, go to page six, Thread "Manuals for CO Two fire extinguisher and stuff." Read all the notes, especially Doug's cautions.

My wife said "Why don't you just call Doug?" Well, where's the fun in that?
    Last edited by Fanfare; 03-20-2023 at 02:09 PM.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Re: Fire suppression tank

I do mine myself and take it to be weighed and inspected. Just watch the plunger isn’t extended when u screw the head back on
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present