Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Translucent hatches

Hatteras used some type of translucent resin in the hatches. Most are a yellowish color mine are blue. Anyone know what type of resin they used? Must be something UV resistant since mine have lasted 56 years.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Re: Translucent hatches

My only hatch on the bow started show signs of the UV winning. I put sun screen on it. So far it seems to be working.

Actually I made that up
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

I kinda messed mine up but maybe not so much. Therew were loose fibers everywhere on the exterior so I jus mixed up some resin and coated it. But it made little mountains where the fibers stood up. So had to sand/grind flat and recoat. But has yellowed. Now I see why. At least I stopped deterioration and now I can sand/grind down flat to original material and recoat with proper material.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Not sure what Hatteras used but there is this stuff. I haven't used it but almost did on an outdoor river table

https://raka.com/product/uv-inhibited-epoxy-kits/

My bow hatch was so bad I changed it to poly carbonate plastic with a clear but really dark 1/2” piece. It’s been an alarm for eight years and still looks fabulous.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

My Hatteras has only one fiberglass hatch, which has a molded FRP hatch cover with a translucent center section. As they age, these covers don't look good, and sometimes fiberglass threads get loose.

It turns out that if you just remove the hatch cover altogether, wash it thoroughly, sand it lightly, and paint it with AwlGrip by hand, it looks fine for years afterwards. AND, nearly as much light comes through. The hatch cover appears to be the same color when you view it from the deck, but light does get through it about like it did before. Without the yellowed center section, it looks much better.

I cut out the translucent area and installed clear plexiglass. It made a huge difference in the brightness in the forward cabin.
    Attached Images
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Thumbs up Re: Translucent hatches

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Not sure what Hatteras used but there is this stuff. I haven't used it but almost did on an outdoor river table

https://raka.com/product/uv-inhibited-epoxy-kits/
    I've use Raka uv inhibited epoxy for years on numerous boat projects. It is a good product at a good price; however, it will not withstand long term exposure to sunlight must have a covering to protect it.
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

The problem is that the thermal expansion rate of any of the clear plastics is greater than the fiberglass that you are attaching it to. So you need to account for that and use the right sealant. I'll have to look for some photos of what I did years ago on mine.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI