Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: 1985 36C Series II Shower Sump

whatever it take get a sump in there. shower water and soap will cause odors and hair will clog your bilge pumps, the condensate water from the A/C will cause mold and rot in the wood in the bilge
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

We have learned to not use diaphragm pumps for shower sump pumps. Soap and debris will get in/on the valves. Hard to clear without taking it apart.
    Stay with a lil bilge pump and keep real liquid plumber gel on hand when any issues develop.

Ralph, you are usually spot on on most things but this one I disagree with. We used a Whale Gulper as a sump pump on our sailboat while we were cruising for 14 years with 2 people showering almost every day. During that time I replaced one of the joker valves which was cheap and readily available. Maybe the most reliable item on the boat.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I put a strainer before the pump, then just cleaned that when I noticed the shower drain slowing down. It was very reliable.

Walt Hoover

Thanks Y'all, this thread gives me even yet another project to do. My 52c is still running a bilge shower sump and several AC drains into the bilge.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's