Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

This can't be right!!!!!

Okay.. Bought a 74 double cabin 38 that's been on the hard for five years... Found a leak coming from the ceiling in the head of the main cabin... The water damaged everything so i took out all the walls and ceiling to renovate...

Found the source of the leak... Its from a large hole above the ceiling in which a bundle of cables and other lines from the flybridge instrument/dash panel ... This budble runs along the floor of the starboard side bench in the cockpit and down into the boat... It seems the drain hose on the bench was loose, allowing the water to drip down under the bench through the whole and then migrate to the large hole using the wires and cables as a conveyor belt... The water then drips off the wire and cable and unto the ceiling...

I can't figure out how to sole this problem...

I repaired the drain and hose but can't figure out where the opposite end of the hose is suppose to go... I see no outlet... Can't imagen its suppose to go inside the boat into the bilge...

I can't imagine how to plug up the hole with the wires... Som of the water will still flow along the wires and cables and drip into the boat/ceiling...

Don't know how to address this problem... Please help!!

John
    1974 Hatteras 38 Double CabinHull 3610474On the hard in Demopolis, ALAnd74 Hatteras 58 FishermanOn the hard in Demopolis, AL

Re: This can't be right!!!!!

Search for R A Clarkson's thread on this. He built a stainless steel gutter of some sort to channel the water toward the intended drain. I did something similar on my 55C but used a copper pipe

Quote Originally Posted by briankinley2004 View Post
    search for r a clarkson's thread on this. He built a stainless steel gutter of some sort to channel the water toward the intended drain. I did something similar on my 55c but used a copper pipe

hi, i can't find the tread youy mentioned... Can you help locate??
    1974 Hatteras 38 Double CabinHull 3610474On the hard in Demopolis, ALAnd74 Hatteras 58 FishermanOn the hard in Demopolis, AL

You need a riser on the hole so the water can’t run down the hole. Mine has a rubber hose that is about 3 inches high. You could also use thickened epoxy to build up a dam.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by scarlett View Post
    you need a riser on the hole so the water can’t run down the hole. Mine has a rubber hose that is about 3 inches high. You could also use thickened epoxy to build up a dam.
    scarlett... Did you have the same problm???

How did you get rid of the water that builded up???

that drain exits underneath the outermost exterior stb aft bulkhead.
    the part that is on a slant, not perpendicular. right under the metal trim.
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN

Quote Originally Posted by unique_name View Post
    that drain exits underneath the outermost exterior stb aft bulkhead.
    The part that is on a slant, not perpendicular. Right under the metal trim.
    thanks to all of you who replied!!!!

I spent time sealing the seats and under my helm so water cannot get in, and when we have a lot of rain I put thick towels at the end of the fly bridge to absorb extra water that get under my fly bridge cover
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by julianj08 View Post
    hi, i can't find the tread youy mentioned... Can you help locate??
    Here you go. Had to use Google as the forums search didn't bring them up.

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/showthread.php?35064-Rerouting-Flybridge-Drain

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/showthread.php?33032-Flybridge-Drains