Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Master Breaker Panel

Hi all... I have a 74 double cabin thats been sitting for a five years... After I put in new batteries I noticed the red light found on the Master Breaker panel (found on the starboard side wall in the saloon near the floor) didn't come on... which I assume means no power is going to the panel....

Can you tell me how to troubleshoot this issue.. blown fuse or another breaker switch somewhere?

Thanks

John
    1974 Hatteras 38 Double CabinHull 3610474On the hard in Demopolis, ALAnd74 Hatteras 58 FishermanOn the hard in Demopolis, AL

Re: Master Breaker Panel

Start at the source using a meter. In 50 years the boat is likely to have been modified…. Follow the wiring from the batteries to any possible fuse or breaker, as well as battery switch. Then measure voltage inside the panel where the battery cables come in
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

There is a fuse hidden in the box for that lamp.
    The lamp has been known to fail also.
    Yep, pull out that trusty volt meter and follow leads.

Also, I am not sure you should expect an illuminated light showing that the batteries are connected?

Those lights are usually for the shorepower stuff, and I would think they would drain down the battery if you had a light on all the time.
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Did you check the bulb itself. Most of mine had all been pulled by the prior owner but two had blown.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

that is a 12v subpanel, not the master. the master is under the steps into the cabin.
    unless of course, a po has redesigned.

as stated check the panel with a meter, dont trust any bulbs.
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN

Quote Originally Posted by seven View Post
    did you check the bulb itself. Most of mine had all been pulled by the prior owner but two had blown.
    seven... You are a genius!!!!... There was no bulb in the socket...

Why is owning a boat so hard!!!!!
    1974 Hatteras 38 Double CabinHull 3610474On the hard in Demopolis, ALAnd74 Hatteras 58 FishermanOn the hard in Demopolis, AL

Owning a boat is sort of like learning martial arts. Always remember your fundamentals.

Other than actual hand tools, I think a VOM and test light are possibly the two most valuable tools to have on a boat. Those and a hat. I learned, the hard way, to ALWAYS wear a hat when going in the engine room or below decks. Because, sooner or later, you will forget where you are, straighten up, and bang your head.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Owning a boat is sort of like learning martial arts. Always remember your fundamentals.

Other than actual hand tools, I think a VOM and test light are possibly the two most valuable tools to have on a boat. Those and a hat. I learned, the hard way, to ALWAYS wear a hat when going in the engine room or below decks. Because, sooner or later, you will forget where you are, straighten up, and bang your head.
    This might be some of the best advice I’ve heard, the hat part that is.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale